Saturday, March 19, 2011

Ditch #19 - GPS Tracker


Back in 2005, around the same time I got the MP3 player, I also got a Timex Ironman watch. It was revolutionary at the time to be able to run and have your watch display how many miles you've gone. I also had the luxury of running not only based on my speed and distance, but also based on my heart rate. I don't think I would have done as well in my first marathon without it.

Well about a 2 years ago the watch completely died. The seal that protected the watch from water had worn away, water got inside, and the screen went black. It's not because I jumped in a pool or anything, it's because I got so sweaty that my salt water got inside the watch. I even replaced the battery thinking that might be the problem, but it never came back on. So I tossed the watch. 

And here I am STILL holding on to the GPS part of the watch. It's ridiculous to think I strapped that thing to my arm for 20 mile runs since it is crazy heavy and bulky, but back in the day, that was sweet technology. Not sure what to do to get rid of it. I'll probably recycle the batteries and then dispose of the rest at a recycling drive for computer type parts.

1 comments:

Does the tracker still work in any way? Can you plug it into the computer after or something to get data? If so, dibs.