Saturday, March 12, 2011

Ditch #12 - College Computer


When was the last time you met a computer that was 11 years old that was still running strong? Well meet the  Gateway 2000.

This one was tough. I have held onto my college computer for 5 years now. It actually has sat in our bedroom the entire time completely untouched. Why I didn't get rid of it sooner, I don't know. I can't quite explain it. It's not like I'd ever revert back to it. Maybe I was just emotionally attached. It got me through some good years of computer science, no easy task for any computer. I also had a lot of personal data on it like school pictures, old website development code, music, etc... but in going through it this morning, I had already made copies of everything. There really wasn't anything I didn't already have saved on the 3 hard drives on our newer computer (newer being 2004).

So with 2 hours of work, all the files, programs, and personal data have been cleared and it's ready to be redeployed. Check out the specs on this baby: it's got 933 megahertz, 2 hard drives of 50GB each, Windows XP, a DVD drive, a CD-WR drive, and the ever important floppy drive. I bet I could sell it for about 50 or 100 bucks, but I'm thinking about giving it away. There's got to be some sort of school programs that could use it.

Anyone have suggestions? The last thing I'm going to do is scrap a perfectly good computer, so selling it or giving it away is the only option.

2 comments:

I have no idea what to do with an old computer, but I bet you'll find out and when you do, I'd love to know.

Maybe call your local elementary school?

Dude, I'm en fuego.

http://www.epa.gov/epawaste/partnerships/plugin/computers.htm