Thursday, September 2, 2010

August 2010 Movies

When I first listed all the movies, I thought I was going to give them all terrible reviews. But they actually weren't all that bad. With new TV seasons starting back up, our movie watching might be slowing down.

  1. New In Town (2009) - 3 stars - It was a really cute romantic comedy. Totally predictable, but what do you expect from romantic comedies?
  2. Land of the Lost (2009) - 4 stars - I expected a train wreck of a movie but instead got CLASSIC Will Ferrell. It had TONS of sweet quotes:

    Dr. Rick Marshall: It boils down to two simple words.
    Matt Lauer: Renewable biofuels.
    Dr. Rick Marshall: Close. Time warps.

    "Oh, crapballs. This is one of those situations where dumping piss on your head is a bad idea." - Rick Marshall

    "Where's my laser pointer? Never mind." - Rick Marshall

  3. The Laramie Project (2002) - 3 stars - Really a bummer of a movie but you can't expect anything else when you know what it's based on. It was definitely a different kind of movie though, documentary style but done by actors.
  4. Frost/Nixon (2008) - 4 stars - Super super educational. We didn't know anything about Watergate and now I feel like I'm well versed. This is of course assuming the movie was true to history.
  5. Taken (2008) - 5 stars - This was a phenomenal movie. It had you engaged the whole time and interested. One of those movies where I didn't check the clock to see when it would end. I also learned 2 things, Liam Neeson is awesome, and karate chops work EVERY time.
  6. The Wrestler (2008) - 2 stars - We got this movie because it was up for a bunch of Academy Awards, and once again that proves to mean nothing. Mickey Rourke put on a good performance, but nothing could help the wet-blanket plot.
  7. Toy Story (1995) - 4 starts - This was my first time seeing this movie and it was good. There are not a lot of animated movies that I'm willing to see twice though, and this is not one of them. It was good, but not so terrific that I'd enjoy it a second time.
  8. The Hangover (2009) - 4 stars - I really liked this movie but it stresses me out. All I can think of while watching this is "what would i do?!?" and honestly, I might just roll over and quit life. Too many problems occur in too little time that would immensely ruin your life. I mean it started out a disaster with the purchase of that ridiculous hotel room. So not like me at all.
  9. Jumper (2008) - 3 stars - Liz didn't like this movie but I actually really enjoyed it. It was one of those movies where you just have to set aside reality and imagine what could happen in a world like that. My imagination of traveling the world went wild.
  10. Formula 51 (2002) - 1 star - Awful, awful, awful. Not worth anyone's time. Samuel L. Jackson is always awesome, but this movie was intolerable.
  11. Transporter 3 (2008) - 2 stars - It was forgettable mainly because I had to read the overview to remember what it was about. Really enjoyed the bracelet bomb concept though.
  12. Night at the Museum 2 (2009) - 3 stars - Out of context with the first movie, this was horrible. But if you've seen the first, I guess it was OK.
  13. Star Trek: First Contact (1996) - 2 stars - I stopped it because it was so horrible. I gave it 2 stars as opposed to 1 because I have to give it the benefit of the doubt. Maybe if I knew what in the world was going on, it might be good. I need to watch other Star Trek's and then maybe watch this again.
  14. Pee Wee's Big Adventure (1985) - 2 stars - It had a couple of semi-funny moments, but for the most part this is a kids movie, and should be left to the kids.
  15. The Men Who Stare at Goats (2009) - 1 star - Awful, awful, awful. What was the point of this movie? It was just a movie theater filler until a good movie came along.
  16. Killer at Large: Why Obesity is America's Greatest Threat (2008) - 5 stars - I love watching a movie that provides both information and motivation. They blamed a lot of the obesity problem on companies, when really the biggest problem is with people. They had a girl who was getting liposuction at age 12 and tried to get me to sympathize with them. When you go to McDonalds for breakfast and lunch and get 2 combo meals both times, you should not be approved for such a procedure. Your parents should be drop kicked.
  17. Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (Full Series) - 5 stars - Now one of Liz and my favorite shows. We are very sad it's over.
  18. Battlestar Galactica Season 4.5 (Final Season) - 5 stars - I think it was a phenomenal ending. It was a little bit idealistic, but it was head and shoulders a better season finale than Lost.

1 comments:

So, The Men Who Stare At Goats.... is that a thing like you don't like Monty Python too? It looked interesting and I'm trying to decide if I'd like it cause you know I like Monty!