Sunday, August 1, 2010

July 2010 Movies

I thought July was going to be a down month for movie watching, but it looks like we've held our own. Can you tell it's the Summer and our shows aren't on anymore? If you have any comments on the movies below, feel free to enter a comment. I love talking about movies.

  1. Remember Me (2010) - 3 stars- This was a pretty melancholy and slow(hence only 3 stars) movie with a very strong, moving, and unexpected ending. And for all the people who think I just ruined the movie, I promise, I didn't, you WILL NOT see the ending coming. It honestly came out of left field and made us say "holy crap". This movie is definitely worth seeing.
  2. What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993) - 3 stars - An extremely forgettable movie. Johnny Depp was awesome, but there was no great plot or great ending holding this movie together. It just had people in it that did things and then it ended.
  3. Iron Man (2008) - 5 stars - Just had an urge to see it over again since the second one came out. This movie (series) is certainly one of my favorite movies based on comic characters.
  4. I Love You, Man (2009) - 5 stars - I LOVE THIS MOVIE! This is the third time we've gotten this movie delivered to us on Netflix, and that might mean I have to own it. It's one of those movies, like "A Knight's Tale" or "The Breakup" or "Love Actually" that sometimes I just have an urge to pop in. "SLAPPIN DA BASSS!!"
  5. In the Line of Fire (1993) - 4 stars - Some popular 90's movies are starting to show their age, where you watch it and you can tell it's kinda old now. This movie is one of them. But I really like Clint Eastwood and thought this was a solid thriller.
  6. Ninja Assassin (2009) - 2 stars - In the context of movies, who doesn't like ninjas and who doesn't like assassins? I thought this would be a sweet movie but it was terrible. The movie was an excuse to show fight scenes with LOTS AND LOTS of blood. It had "Kill Bill" levels of blood with the gushing and the spewing.
  7. Dear John (2010) - 3 stars - Liz says "It was good, books are always better." I personally could not connect or sympathize with the end of this movie. I won't talk anymore than that about it, but I have very strong opinions about how it ended. In general though, it was a good dramatic movie.
  8. Did You Hear About the Morgans? (2009) - 3 stars - I don't care what Hugh Grant has done in the past, he's still awesome in my book. After all, he did narrate "Love Actually". I really wanted this to be a hilarious, quick-witted movie, but it was not that at all. It was a lot slower and serious than it should have been. I liked it in general though.
  9. Whip It (2009) - 4 stars - I'm becoming a big fan of Ellen Page. She did really well in this movie. Who doesn't want to see a bunch of girls blind side each other in roller derby? It had all the makin's.
  10. Edge of Darkness (2009) - 3 stars - We gave this movie 3 stars after watching it, but in thinking back, it was a lot better than that. This movie was a classic thriller where the plot is an onion constantly being peeled away and you continue to find out more about what is ACTUALLY going on. Worth seeing. One other thing, it had one of the most scary and sudden events I've EVER seen in a movie. You know in Scream when the bad guy jumps out and scares you, well that's NOTHING compared to one scene in this movie. Just made us almost fall off the couch it scared us so much. It's not a scary movie by any means, but that caught us off guard BIG TIME.
  11. Fame (2009) - 2 stars - There was WAY too much talent and phenomenal music and dance in this movie for it to turn out so bad. Much like "What's Eating Gilbert Grape", it left you with nothing. No good feeling, no interest in what was happening. It had people in it that did things, and then it ended. I might patent that sentence.
  12. Wanted (2008) - 4 stars - I really am not a fan of Angelina Jolie. She seems too much like a real-life Barbie doll and never does anything that doesn't involve heavy eye liner. But this movie was creative and had me intrigued. The only thing I didn't like is the same thing that bothered me in the movie "King Kong", and that is that there are some things normal people shouldn't be able to do. For example, two people should not be able to fall 1000 feet into a ravine and survive. That just doesn't happen.
  13. Battlestar Galactica Season 4 (2007) - 5 stars - I don't know why I stopped watching after season 3 because it's "fracking" awesome. I'm still waiting to receive disc 4.
  14. 30 Days Season 2 & 3 (2006 & 2008) - 4 stars - I'm a big fan of changing your life for a temporary amount of time and that's exactly the premise of this show. It sounds like it's cancelled for good now which is unfortunate, I really like Morgan Spurlock and his documentaries. This is very well worth it.
  15. 30 Rock Season 1, 2, & 3 (2006, 2007, & 2008) - 5 stars - Who knew this show is sooo hilarious?! We are only a few episodes into the 3rd season, but it is really funny. Liz and I both love the main character "Liz Lemon" and her quirky personality. One of our favorite quotes from her, "HEEEY! I just bought this shirt like 8 years ago!". I also love Tracy Jordan and some of the ridiculous things he says: "I'm gonna be so rich, my grand kids will play lacrosse."
  16. Hot Shots! (1991) - 1 star - I really don't enjoy this kind of humor. The slap stick and "Airplane!" type humor. It had me chuckling a few times, but for the most part, it's really made for the 12 year olds in all of us.
  17. Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993) - 1 star - You know a movie is bad when it has a scene involving the Energizer bunny. Whoever made this movie should be fired and out of work.
  18. Steel Magnolias (1989) - 4 stars - Liz saw this one, I did not. She watched it while I had to work late one night. She said she did not expect to be as moved as she was. She thought it was really good.
  19. Maxed Out (2006) - 5 stars - This is a documentary on the predatory practices of credit card companies. It didn't offer any information I hadn't heard before, but certainly informative for anyone curious to know why debt might be a bad thing.
  20. The Pillars of the Earth (2010) - (not rated yet) - This is a series from some channel named "Starz" based on the book. Liz says it's good, but is not following the book very well at all. It has some of the same plot lines and elements, but after having just seen two of the episodes, she says it's starting to deviate big time.
  21. Arrested Development Season 2 (2004) - 3 stars - I'm starting to get tired of this show. It started out funny but the crazy antics seem to just go in a circle and it's getting less interesting.
In case you were wondering how in the world we watched so much? Items 14 through 21 we watched online through the "Watch Instantly" feature streaming Netflix onto our Wii. Since we got rid of our satellite, instead of watching something random on TV, we'd turn on an episode of 30 Rock or whatever else. It makes me not miss satellite even a little bit. Once our favorite shows come back for the Fall season, our movie and show watching will definitely decrease.

I've mentioned "Love Actually" twice in this blog post (now 3 times)... I feel the urge to watch it coming on... who cares if it's only August.

0 comments: