Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Farmer's Market Rocks

Written by guest writer, Liz :-)

It's a perfect time and place to be a vegetarian. We are fortunate enough to live near the North Carolina State Farmer's Market in Raleigh, which is supplied by local farms from across the state. And it's the time of year when all the best veggies and fruits are in season. I went early this morning to get enough fruits and vegetables for a week or two and when I got home, they just looked pretty enough for a picture.



This picture does not include the fresh peaches, roma tomatoes, onions, green beans, sweet corn, cantelope, eggs (from pastured happy chickens), and fresh parsley and basil plants which are now sitting in my window sill. I just think it's so great that I can get all this straight from the farmers at one convenient location for great prices. Now that I have my vegetarian cookbooks from the library and all these great veggies I can finally start experimenting in the kitchen. I have some recipes lined up, so we'll let you know how the month progresses.

4 comments:

YAY! We hit our farmer's market this morning, too. Picked up some fresh local peaches and cantaloupe. And the girls got their faces painted and balloons shaped like a dog and a flower.

Can't wait to hear what's on your menu this week!

Looks good. We don't have a large Farmer's Market here in Mi., but I did go to a road side stand where I purchases fresh green beans, corn, tomatoes and cantalope. Two days down being a vegetarian. Its been easy so far.

Mmmm...those veggies look so tasty!

I love the farmer's market. We tend to target fruit which we use to make Jam. We've also had good luck buying meat and eggs there though the last time we went our favorite vendor was gone so we're trying someone new.