Tuesday, August 5, 2008

If It Wasn't For My Wife...

...vegetarian month would suck. Maybe not suck, it's glorious thus far.

I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting to enjoy the meals so much this month. Where's the meat!??! So now that we are completely vegetarian this month, you'd think we would struggle with our nightly meals. The last two nights it feels like we not only didn't skip a beat, but in fact upgraded our meals above what they had been before. I'm going to assign credit where credit is due, it's all because of Liz. She picked the recipes, made them for dinner and we both reap the benefits. I am super appreciative too, she's wonderful to me and is really an awesome cook. I'm just glad she enjoys it.

So last night we had vegetable quesadillas. The day before, I questioned whether or not they were going to be quesadillas because we don't have big massive tortillas like Taco Bell does(the experts on quesadillas) . We only had little small soft shells that we usually use for tacos. So to make the quesadillas, she put one shell down and then loaded the shell with lots of fixings and then put another shell on top. So it was more like a mexican pizza from Taco Bell(the mexican pizza experts as well). After work I stopped by the grocery store to get some refried beans to spice up the quesadillas.

Side Note: Anyone ever looked at the ingredients of refried beans? If you are not careful you could make a disastrous mistake. They had many cans on the shelf and I chose the one that said vegetarian. You know what ingredient they left out on my can that was included on all the other ones? Lard. They don't even disguise it. They printed it in color on the label. It's such a nasty 4 letter word, isn't there a better way to say it? No joke, the 3rd ingredient in all the other cans was Lard. No thanks, my belly has plenty.

The quesadillas were amazing. The only critique I made was that they had a little too much cheese but it was close to one of the best meals Liz had ever cooked. It had refried beans, peppers, onions, tomatoes, cheese, salsa, and a few packets of Taco Bell fire sauce(the experts on fire sauce) we had left over. So simple but oh so good.

Tonight I was a little worried though. I was going to eat something I have never heard of, a Frittata. How am I supposed to know what it is if Taco Bell doesn't even have it? (ok, enough of the Taco Bell jokes). I wasn't really expecting to enjoy it but it gave the quesadillas a run for their money, literally. The frittata all together had to have cost about $2. It was basically eggs and potatoes. It was again so simple but so filling and delicious. I would explain what a frittata is but here is the link, you can see for yourself :). Here is a picture of me enjoying it.



It's hard to believe that she could top these meals but she's got a winner coming on Thursday too, I can feel it (she has choir tomorrow so I have to fend for myself). We are having Ratatouille, and yes, it's the exact same meal they prepared in the movie. I just like saying it, but now I get to eat it?!? Awesome! Again, here is the link. If you are into vegetarian and love movies, it's right up your alley.

It was a week ago yesterday that Liza flew back to Belarus. We miss her a lot. I know I have broken my promise of posting pictures quickly, but gimme a break, I was busy sitting. Here are some from her last few days with us:




(she totally made it)

1 comments:

whoa! seriously cool new rotating pictures!