Sunday, August 24, 2008

I Have A Stalker...

And his name is Gryffin. This picture is the result of Gryffin's actions only, we did not place him in this position.

Anyone who has been to our house and been around Gryffin, knows that he is somewhat fond of me. Ok, let's be honest, very fond of me. We often joke that Gryffin has a crush on me because he can't stand being away from me for any amount of time. If I go upstairs he either jumps over the baby gate we have set up in his way or he cries endlessly until he gets his way. We don't really understand it and most of the time it is really cute but every now and then it gets really annoying.

When we go to bed, his crate is set up next to the edge of the bed on my side so he can look up and see me at all times. If I am in bed, he is in bed. If I get up he sits up to make sure that if I am leaving the room, he can follow quickly.

When we come home to them from being away, the easiest way to get him to go out in the yard and pee, is if I go out there and make him follow me. I'll stand there long enough for him to do his business and then when I go in, he goes in. He has gotten better about being outside without one of us out there with him but he doesn't last too long.

Gryffin is still very dependent. He absolutely adores getting his belly rubbed and if you even make the slightest move to rub his belly he'll flip over for you. He is as lap doggish as it gets. He loves being in contact with us and if he naps on the couch, he prefers to snuggle against our leg. He loves to be held and carried but only at his own will, if you force it or if it's someone that he doesn't know well, he will give an innocent growl. I say innocent because he has never actually acted on it or bitten anyone, it's just a warning. So in that case you just have to put him down and let him do his own thing.

One thing that will be a perpetual problem is his stinkin' nails. He has incredibly long nails and they hurt. "Cut them then" you say? We try but his skin or cuticles or whatever you call them in the nail are naturally long, so even if you cut them as short as possible, they are still long and still hurt. No big deal, it's become somewhat endearing.

We blame his attachment to us as his paranoia that he will be given away again. When the animal rescue found him, he was curled up in box under a car port in southwest Virginia. It's assumed his owner abandoned him. Someone found him and then gave him to the animal rescue. The first foster home he stayed in had some mean dogs and picked on him and he didn't fit in. They then moved him after a month to a second foster home where he immediately bonded with the dogs there. Sunny, his foster mom, said he had some good friends in that pack and they got along wonderfully. Then we adopted him in May after a month at his second home. He has now been with us a whoppin 3 months, and the longest he's been in one place in his life. I keep telling him "we got you for keeps", "this is your forever home", "you and Daisy will be best friends forever" but I don't think it sinks in. He'll just have to see for himself because he really has become part of the family.

He's so hot right now

We call this the "drumsticks" picture

Too cute

1 comments:

1. I like your new template. Very nice. I don't normally see it since I read your blog in Google Reader, but I checked it out yesterday after you posted about it.

2. I think long, sharp nails are a dachsund thing. I've noticed them on purebred doxies.

3. The drumstick photo ROCKS! Libbie has a pose where she lays on her belly with her legs spread on the floor so that the outsides of her thighs are pointing up to the ceiling. Every time I see her like that, I think her legs look like a really good leg of lamb. When I give her little thighs a squeeze she changes position. I think she knows what I'm thinking! :)