Sunday, January 30, 2011

January Status Update

I received such positive feedback on my New Year’s Resolution that I decided to give a status update of my progress so far. We read once that most people give up their resolutions by the 15th of January. I’m happy to say that on day 30, I haven’t given up, and have only had one ‘accident’. 

I do have a rule that I didn’t write about in my first post. I can eat seafood. Yes, I know there are probably fish farms that might be just as bad for the fish, and in turn for us, but I’m claiming ignorance. Maybe next year? I have been trying for all veggie…fish is a second option usually.

Also, is it probable to do this when traveling? We have some trips planned for the year and I keep thinking of all the local foods I might miss out on if I have to eat veggie. What are your thoughts on an exception if I have to fly to the destination?

Overall, the month has gone well. At the beginning of the month I had a shrimp burger…delicious, except for the mystery topping. It was my fault for not reading the menu details, but I accidently had a bit of bacon in the arugula bacon salad topping on my shrimp burger. Oops!

Unfortunately, this hasn’t stopped us from eating out very much. We’ve been busy and sometimes I just don’t feel like cooking! I have to give my dear husband credit though – he hasn’t even mentioned wanting to go to Chick-fil-a when we’ve been out and about. Of course he’s had it himself…just not when I’ve been with him.
Also, is it a criteria that all vegetarians must like portabella mushrooms? I had a hard time getting used to eating the small white button mushrooms, but I’m happy to say that I cook with them regularly now and enjoy them on a pizza occasionally. I just cannot get used to the texture of a portabella mushroom! I had one on my sandwich today for lunch and ended up taking apart the entire sandwich and eating the bread and eating the side of fruit. Sad, I know, but maybe by December I’ll be used to them because all restaurants have a portabella sandwich option?

I’m still eating the ‘good meat’ at home when I cook. Although, when deciding what to make for dinner tonight I remembered that we still have frozen turkey leftover from Thanksgiving. I was quickly reminded that it was NOT good meat. I still feel bad for that poor guy. So Michael will be eating some turkey sandwiches on his own until it’s gone.

1 month down, 11 more to go!

4 comments:

Good for you, Liz!

From what I understand, fish farms are a lot more humane than factory farming. However, some fish tolerate the space limitations better than others, so you may want to research the type of fish in question.

As for eating meat while abroad, I'd say go for it. As long as you're significantly reducing your intake overall, you're doing a significant good. An absolute ban isn't necessary.

Here are some of the problems I see with fish farms (for NEXT year, of course):

1. Horrid for the environment, especially those in China. Pollution to the max, baby. Chinese tilapia is the worst and waitresses always look at me sideways when I ask them, "Do you know where this fish was raised?" I can't blame them, really.

2. Fish food. In the wild, fish don't eat corn and soybeans. Well, unless they're inadvertently eating our industrial waste, which probably has corn and soybean byproducts just like everything else. The boom of corn and soy (thanks to government funding) has caused all sorts of environmental problems in the US, plus it is putting small family farms out of business.

3. Farmed fish isn't as healthy for you as wild fish (case in point -- farmed salmon vs. wild). Mostly this is because farmed fish eat corn and soybeans. See point number two. :) I can imagine that there are some arguments here about farmed fish possibly having less mercury than wild ones caught in seas with high mercury levels? But unless you eat it for, like, every meal...not such a big deal. I guess.

But the no-farmed-fish challenge is for next year.

As for bad meat while on trips...we do it. Eat bad meat while on trips, that is. Mostly because it is difficult to avoid, but we try to avoid it when possible. For the most part, veggie options in restaurants SUCK unless you want to eat pasta for every meal, which I do not. Chain restaurants are the worst -- so unimaginative with their cuisine! I agree with Lynn -- you're making a huge dent and a total ban can be really inconvenient.

Ah man, now I'm going to feel guilty every time I eat fish! I'll try harder for the all veggie options.

Hey Liz, Hillary,
Not all farmed fish are the same. Lynn and I recently watched an episode of Good Eats talking about farmed trout, and how sustainable the system is. The Internet seems to agree, so it looks like US grown farmed trout is a great choice environmentally:

http://www.edf.org/page.cfm?tagID=15760

~Jacob