Sunday, January 9, 2011

November & December 2010 Movies

I really have been delaying in writing this blog because I forgot in December and two months of movies is a lot. Oh well, here it goes:


November 2010: 

  • Toy Story 2 (1999) - 4 stars - Very cute. Just as good as the first one.
  • I Love You, Beth Cooper (2009) - 3 stars - Cute movie, but super forgettable. So forgettable that two months later I can't remember how it ends. D'oh!
  • Bruno (2009) - 1 star - Worst movie ever!! This makes Borat look like a great movie.
  • Mr. Holland's Opus (1995) - 5 stars - This one took me by surprise. Liz even hyped it up, which usually turns out to be a killer, but it lived up to the hype. It was really moving and I did not see the ending coming. I highly recommend it.
  • Iron Jawed Angels (2004) - 4 stars -I've never really been a fan of Hillary Swank. I don't know what it is, maybe it's just that she's very plain jane, but she did great in this movie. I also love movies based on historical issues, I just hope it's true to history.
  • The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror (1990) - 3 stars - This always seems like a great idea, but I'm always disappointed when I watch it. I think mainly because I'm thinking I'll see Halloween episodes I've never seen before, but I don't.
  • Public Enemies (2009) - 4 stars - I felt like I was actually watching a documentary about old fashioned bank robberies. It COULD NOT have been that easy. The movie gave me the impression that law enforcement during that time was pathetically organized and maintained. My only other comment is that Johnny Depp rocks.
  • Up in the Air (2009) - 3 stars - It was entertaining, but very vanilla from start to end. I liked the concept though.
  • Merlin - Season 1 (2008) - 4 stars - As much as they might not want to seem like it, they pretty much copied off of Harry Potter, just throwing their own spin on things and bringing in different ideas. The show is also extremely predictable. Every episode contains the same structure. Something will happen, Prince Arthur would do something stupid, the King would get angry, etc...
  • Jaws (1975) - 4 stars - First time I saw Jaws as an adult. I don't know why people thought this was terrifying. They would telegraph the scary passes.
  • Whale Wars - Season 1 (2008) - 5 stars - LOVE WHALE WARS!! I was hooked after the first episode. Makes me want to take a Winter and go on a ride on the Steve Irwin.
  • Ghostbusters 2 (1989) - 2 stars - When I was a kid, this movie was awesome. As an adult, I realize I was a dumb kid for thinking that.
  • Assassins (1995) - 2 stars - What do you want? It has Sylvester Stallone kicking butt. It's just too bad the plot was awful.
  • Old Dogs (2009) - 3 stars - OK I have a problem with this movie. Also, how lame am I that I'm blogging about a problem I have with a movie called "Old Dogs". The concept of this movie is that these guys are old and can't do anything anymore. John Travolta is freakin 55. Since when is that ever considered "old" in that context? They were joking about all the pills they had to take. Really? Downing pills at 55? Maybe I'm just naive?
  • Cool Hand Luke (1967) - 3 stars - I watched this movie because it has a lot of pop culture references, but for the life of me I can't remember which reference I was watching it for. After the movie, I picked up a few (like "what we have here is a failure to communicate"), but not the one that I watching it for. I think it's a reference from Friends. Oh well.
  • Driving Miss Daisy (1989) - 3 stars - 1990 Best Picture? 1990 must have ba-lown! It was cute, but by today's standards, it would have been mediocre at best.
December 2010: 

  • Sherlock Holmes (2009) - 4 stars - I was giving this movie a 3rd try and finally I understood it. All the other times I couldn't make out what Robert Downey Jr. was saying. All they did was mumble. 2 stars without understanding, 4 stars now that I do.
  • Avatar (2009) - 5 stars - Hands down, one of the best movies of all time.
  • Valentine's Day (2010) - 4 stars - Very cute, but predictable as most romantic comedies are. Also, I so badly want to hate Ashton Kutcher, but the dude is HILARIOUS.
  • Toy Story 3 (2010) - 5 stars - Very good movie. It's tough to make a third movie that is as good, if not better than the first two. I'm impressed. I still don't love animated movies, and probably won't want to watch it again, but it was very good.
  • The Book of Eli (2010) - 4 stars - Phenomenal movie. It was very close to getting 5 stars, but I reserve that for only the best.
  • 12 Monkeys (1995) - 3 stars -Pretty good movie. I really hate when time travel is incorporated into movies. It's one of only two movies where it didn't entirely anger me to watch. "The Time Traveler's Wife" is the other one.
  • Up (2009) - 4 stars - Cute movie, but it was my second time seeing it and that's just too much. I can't do animated movies more than once. I guess the only exception is musicals. I can enjoy Disney movies more than once.
  • Whale Wars - Season 2 (2009) - 5 stars -Not too much changed between Season 1 and Season 2. I guess the donations hadn't started pouring in yet because it's run by a non-profit group.
  • The King of Kong (2007) - 4 stars - Great documentary about the world of competitive gaming, and more specifically, Donkey Kong. It was basically the story of the battle between two guys, Billy Mitchell, the long time Donkey Kong champ, and Steve Wiebe, the newcomer who just flat out could play. By the end you realize Steve is the greatest person on the planet for having to put up with all the crap he has to endure. You go Steve!
  • Samurai: The Last Warrior (2004) - 2 stars - I thought this was going to be awesome, but it was super boring. They couldn't have picked anyone more boring to narrate. I learned a little I guess.
  • Russel Brand in New York City (2009) - 3 stars - I liked him in Forgetting Sarah Marshall and wanted to see what his stand up was like. He is legitimately crazy. Although I'll give him credit, he had me rolling laughing.
  • Whale Wars - Season 3 (2010) - 5 stars - Season 3, they break out the Ady Gil. By the middle of Season 3, the Ady Gil gets broken. They also roll out the very old and broken down ship donated to them by none other than, Bob Barker. They named it the Bob Barker. We kept laughing at how angry Bob must be to see the ship he gave them performing so poorly. You have GOT to see this show!!

We were gone for 10 days in December and still managed to watch 10 movies and 2.5 seasons of Whale Wars. Not too shabby!

4 comments:

If you don't like time travel I highly recommend that you never ever watch the movie "Primer". You've also convinced me to give "Book of Eli", a move I had previously been avoiding, a try.

We might have to give Sherlock Holmes another try too. I thought he mumbled everything because we were watching the pirated Mexican version...guess not.

Book of Eli is so good, I've seen it twice now and really enjoyed it both times. I will not say anything else otherwise I'd ruin it, and I have a habit of doing that.

Sherlock Holmes was much better in a quiet room with the sound turned up... it was still sometimes difficult to understand, but if you concentrated, you got it.

Also Scott, Dhani Jones is awesome, we've watched 3 of his tackling the globe episodes and we really like it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Wow, you watch an incredible number of movies. I assume Liz likes the animated movies, which is why you keep watching them?

I'm thinking maybe I should take your recommendations in reverse since I love time travel (Back to the Future I is my all-time favorite movie) and like animation. What's your least favorite movie of all time?