Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A Thanksgiving Fit for Two

This year was the first year that Liz and I stayed home and cooked Thanksgiving ourselves. We figured we'd see all of our family in December so there was no sense in traveling anywhere.

 Thanksgiving fit for two

I've typed two sentences and I've already lied to you. I'll be honest, I cooked squat. Liz cooked everything. Thanksgiving has always been that meal that was supposed to stress a cook out. That didn't really happen with her. She had everything prepared. She had every casserole with a stick-it note that said what time to put it in the oven, she popped them in when it was time, and enjoyed Thanksgiving with her feet up the rest of the time.

 Broccoli Casserole


Sweet Potato Casserole

We actually started the day off with a new tradition. We ran the Ridgewood Turkey Trot 8K in Raleigh. What better way to get ready for a feast than to make that exercise down payment? The race was at 8AM, so we got up at our normal time, ran the race and were home by 11. That race (or any race, depending on where we are that year) is certainly going to be a tradition for us on Thanksgiving from now on.

You'd think with only two people we'd get the smallest turkey possible right? You are incorrect. Here's a rough outline of the turkey hunt:

Liz: "We're going to Harris Teeter, they have a sale on turkeys for 35 cents a pound."
Me: "sweet!"
...go to harris teeter...
Liz: "OK, so 12 pounds is the smallest they have, I figure that's more than enough for 2 of us."
Me: "Let's look at the largest they have, you can't get 35 cents a pound at the deli counter."
Liz: "That would be 19.7 pounds."
Me: "Looks good to me."
Liz: "We're going to be eating turkey for weeks."



We do have a little regret about not trying to find a turkey that's organically produced. My guess is the Harris Teeter turkeys are not made to be the most healthy animals on the planet and are probably injected with a whole bunch of growth hormones, so we really should have tried to find one. Call it laziness I guess.

I only had two jobs for the day, to say grace and to carve the turkey. I must admit that I did excellent with both tasks. Check out how perfectly carved this turkey breast is:



And Liz's latest experiment, they are called "Stuffins"... a combination of stuffing and muffins. They were delicious: 


 It's nice to know that no matter where we go or whether we stay home, the food is just as good. This year was certainly no exception.

2 comments:

brings back some memories... sandy did a 7 lbs turkey for aaron, her and me (melissa is trying to go vegetarian). sandy just finished our extra turkey today! have a great holiday guys!

Nicely done, Liz! I'm stealing your great idea of using post-it notes to time the cooking.

I'm glad your new tradition went so well for you.