Monday, January 17, 2011

Treadmill + Pretzels = Science

Over my many years of running, there is one thing I've gotten used to: sweating. I sweat a lot. I sweat so much that I have embraced wearing a headband like I'm Richard Simons. It has become somewhat of a shtick of mine. It doesn't matter how silly I look. The general rule of thumb is, if you're running, you can get away with any kind of clothing.

Along with sweating also comes the endless onslaught of salt that I have to endure, hence the headband to protect my eyes. Any run over 10 miles I start developing salt stains near my eyes, on my legs, and pretty much everywhere.

One day Moose said to me: "Have you ever thought about taking some salt packets or extra sodium to make up for it?"

"Well no, I figure gatorade is good enough."

Then came research on the topic. Just a 30 second search gave me all the information I needed: "Dehydration is perhaps the most instrumental factor behind cramps. Sodium loss in muscles due to dehydration produces limb and abdominal cramps. Drinking plenty of water with increased intake of salts can do the wonder." Even more thorough research reveals that there is at least some connection of some kind between muscle cramps and sodium loss.

I felt as though during the City of Oaks Marathon that I took in PLENTY of fluid. I was never really thirsty, which is the rule you should follow, so it had to be something else.

There hasn't been a marathon that I haven't struggled with muscle cramps. In every single marathon I am hobbling at the end because all my leg muscles are spasming. This past November it started happening around 22 miles. I have plenty of energy but no juice in the legs. Could it be that I am just losing too much sodium? 

This past weekend I decided to try a little science experiment. I went to the gym to run and with me I brought a bag of pretzels. I definitely got some "what is wrong with you, eating while running?" looks. In fact, I think I was offending the guy next to me by doing it. I was running 7.5mph eating pretzels the whole time and he sounded like he was dying doing intervals of walking to a 6.5mph pace. I ran 10 miles and ate half the bag along the way. 10 miles is not nearly long enough to call the experiment a success but it was long enough to say that it helped. I felt unusually fresh in my legs afterward. I would expect after coming home and watching football that they would at least tighten up and I'd need to stretch them out, but that wasn't the case at all. They felt like I hadn't run at all.

To be sure of this discovery, unfortunately, I'll have to get a 20 mile run in sometime soon. I might wait on that a few weeks. Since November, my longest run has only been 13 (although those were all on trails through Umstead Park). I'm super excited to see if I may be able to rid myself of muscle cramps once and for all. I'd love to run a marathon finishing strong instead of finishing like I got shot in both legs on mile 23.

I just need to be careful not to choke.

2 comments:

I remember learning about this in physiology in high school. I think it is called a "salt pump" or "sodium pump" or something that allows our muscles to release after they've flexed. It takes both water and salt to make the release happen. Crazy stuff!

We learned that gatorade doesn't have the same balance of electrolytes--specifically missing a lot of the sodium you probably need; so definitely sounds like gatorade isn't going to be enough. I even wrote down "make sure to get extra salt (pretzels)" haha

and yes, i totally dug out my pharmacy school notes for that :-)