Sunday, March 8, 2009

One Week Challenge

If anyone knows me, they know that I love challenges and pushing myself. Well for the next 6 days, I am going to give myself a new challenge.

On Friday I went to the gym with every intention of running 8 miles. I got 1.5 miles in and my right calf started hurting. I have never pulled a calf muscle before but it just doesn't feel like a pull. It actually feels like a charlie-horse right in the back of my calf. Either way, I couldn't keep going and I'm not all about pushing through pain when it comes to training.

So defeated and upset, I headed home and did something I've been intending to do for a while and haven't, and that is a 30 minute Biggest Loser workout. In college, Liz got this video that has 4 workouts on it, and I've been curious to try one of them. To my surprise, it was really hard. I pushed through it though and broke a good sweat by the end.

I woke up Saturday morning and was crazy sore all over. I realize I'm not hitting every muscle doing marathon training but boy is it pathetic how crappy I felt. Should I keep doing it?

Today I woke up and my calf was still hurting, so after church I ran through another workout and once again I'm wiped. Made me think, if I can do the workout with a messed up calf, I should do that this week instead of marathon training.

My challenge this week is to wake up at 6AM and do the workout every day (Monday through Saturday). This way I'll get in better shape all over and be ready to go next week for more training once my calf is healed up. Here's to hopin!

2 comments:

Isn't it crazy how you can feel like you've been kicking your butt working out one way for months, even years, and then you change up the work out a bit and see how much you've missed?

Way to make the most of your injury. I would've just sat on the couch instead of trying something different.

yeah, it's amazing how many muscles you DON'T work while running. I am looking forward to tomorrow morning. I'm hoping the Spring forward affect will make it easier to wake up.