Tuesday, March 17, 2009

CAMERA'd!!

We finally got our Nikon D80 on Friday and let me say it's a very happy household we have here. Liz went nuts this weekend but only as nuts as the darkness of a dreary rainy weekend would allow. She has played with the settings, adjusted the thingies, focused the circly object, and allowed more light to hit the stuff. Isn't that all it takes to be a photographer? I should go pro then.... maybe not. Obviously I am no camera expert but it's a boat load of fun for her either way.

About 20 minutes ago we got back inside from taking pictures in the backyard and I say "hey, im going to post some pictures on the blog". Well that didn't go over well because she is still just practicing and nothing is blog-worthy yet. Well after thumbing through close to 200 pictures, I finally got the power of attorney to post what we both feel are acceptable pictures for the blog. Check 'em out!




I've been instructed to inform everyone that the following picture is not a good one because it is so dark, but I wanted to post it anyway because of just how awesome Gryffin is.


We've got an exciting weekend coming up. A month ago Liz sent me the link to a North Carolina birdhouse competition. This was mainly because I enjoy woodworking and creating things so I want to see what people can do and maybe inspire me to make more stuff. Lately, my motivation has been low. But this also gives Liz a chance to take a bunch of pictures with her super awesome camera. So here are some words I never thought I'd say: woo hoo for the bird house competition!!

P.S. - if there is anyone in Raleigh that wants to go with us, we'll probably go Saturday and it's free. Here's the link if you're interested in going with us.

2 comments:

Woohoo! Congratulations on the new camera! The shots look great! So, did you end up going with B&H? That seemed to be the consensus in the comments on your blog.

It's hard when there's not a lot of light, but getting the dogs...er, I mean, subjects...right up next to the window is a great strategy, like in that close up of Gryf. If the window is at a good angle to your subject -- at about shoulder height and off to the side -- you'll get great catch lights in their eyes.

How fun!

Thanks Hillary! I actually ended up going with mpex.com because B&H was also out of stock at the time (they are back in stock now). I'm really happy with it, and am eager to learn. My two subjects don't like to cooperate all the time, and I don't think we've ever had this many pictures of them!