Saturday, March 14, 2009

Meet Your Neighbors

So who is occupying Fulton Bird Suite #1? It is a male Bluebird which apparently is a very common bird in Eastern North Carolina.

I am sitting here on the couch with all the shades in the room pulled up. The reason for that is it's easier to take pictures with tons of light in the room. Who knew? All of a sudden a bird hopped on to the top of the house. I just about flew off the couch, but I stayed calm because I didn't want the bird to see me. It stood there and looked around for a few minutes, then hung on to the hole on the front of the house for a few seconds and threw some stuff into the house. Obviously I have no idea what it was but it looked like he was just dropping off some goods. Then he flew off to the tree in the back. Now the bird never ACTUALLY went all the way inside but it looked like he could fit so I assume this is his house. Here is a picture of a male Bluebird. This picture looks so similar to him that it could be his twin:

How do I know it's a male? Well apparently males are darker in color and have more exaggerated colors. Females tend to have more dullish colors.

We'll be watching this guy closely, check out this link for the schedule bluebirds follow for creating young throughout the year: http://www.ncbluebird.org/html/ncbs_ncnesting.html

I will let you know if I ever see the bird hop in, but for now, that's who I think is occupying our bird house. I never thought I'd enjoy bird watching. I think the key though is bringing the birds to me, it sounds a lot less fun to go find them.

0 comments: