Sunday, August 28, 2011

Our Fall 2011 TV Schedule

As active and busy as we keep ourselves, we love our TV shows. I'm a little ashamed to admit that it's probably (definitely) more than the average person. Then throw in movies that we watch and boy are we putting a lot of time into the TV.

This past Spring we had a couple shows we were watching that were canceled. Those include "V" and "Mr Sunshine". We enjoyed them, but they deserved it. So with those gone, we have a couple shows we've picked up. We try and strike a balance, although recently the balance seems to be on the heavy side.That probably can't last too long.

These are the shows we've always watched that we'll continue to watch when they premiere this Fall. :

  •  Survivor - CBS, Wednesdays @ 8PM, Begins 9/14 - The show seems to go in waves. They'd introduce a new rule every 4th or 5th season (Exile island, Hidden Immunity Island, All-Stars, Fan vs. Favorites, Heroes vs. Villains) and it would be awesome and then start to tail off. Redemption Island has totally revived my interest in Survivor. I love picking my horses and rooting for them.
  • How I Met Your Mother - CBS, Mondays @ 8PM, Begins 9/19 - Brilliant writing. This show is so original and creative in so many ways: Slap Bet & Countdown, Barney's Dating Playbook, The Goat, creative flashbacks, Marshall's Family; I could go on. There's no show on TV like it. I think most of all what I like about the show is Jason Segel, the real star of the show.
  • Glee - Fox, Tuesdays @ 8PM, Begins 9/20 - Liz loves this show more than I do. It certainly is creative, but the plot craziness is something that is hard for me to handle. I also completely disagree about the moral integrity behind what they decide to air on TV, especially considering how many teenagers are watching.  It's as if they are willing to do ANYTHING to get ratings. Sometimes it's difficult to take seriously, which hurts my enjoyment. The best part though is the songs. The cast is awesome and the songs are hilariously random and really well done.
  • The Biggest Loser - Tuesdays @ 8PM, Begins 9/20 - Can I express just how much I love this show? Some people may hate reality shows, but there is no other show that is more beneficial to it's contestants. The show is truly meant to change people's lives. The downside though is that last season was the first time I started to see that it's going downhill. Unlike Survivor, their twists and changes in the game rarely make it more interesting. It is what it is. The show is completely dependent on how interesting the cast is. They better continue to do their best to cast great people, otherwise it'll continue to decline.
  • The Big Bang Theory - Thursdays @ 8PM, Begins 9/22 - I still can't believe this show made it. We watched the first season and were predicting that it wouldn't be renewed. Now here it is about to start season 5 and on the verge of syndication. Amazing. What this show has going for it is science. Most, if not all of the viewers, probably don't understand a word of what they are saying, but that's part of the show's draw.
  • The Office - Thursdays @ 9PM, Begins 9/22 - I'm really afraid that one day I'll say the words "The Office ended when Michael Scott left, it just didn't get canceled at the same time." This season the old boss is gone (Steve Carell) and the new boss, at least from my perspective, is a huge downgrade. I'm really afraid that this show's good days are over. If they manage to concentrate more on office hi-jinks between Dwight and Jim and less on story narrative, it may survive.


And now the new shows we'll be picking up in our schedule:

  • Parenthood - NBC, Tuesdays @ 10PM, Begins 9/13 - Randomly we'd see this show on TV in the Spring and we decided to get the DVD's through Netflix and check out the first season. It's an amazing show. I actually usually hate scripted dramas, in particular all the lame CSI, Law & Order, ER type shows. They really bother me, but Parenthood while it is scripted drama, is much different. I think they do a fantastic job of telling real stories (the autistic young son for example) and add humor that is subtle and done through character personalities, not cheap jokes. The writing is really well done. 
  • Terra Nova - Fox , Mondays @ 8PM, Begins 9/26 - Holy cow this show looks awesome! It's basically looks like a mix of Lost, Jurassic Park, & Avatar. Apparently they are way over budget and it's crazy expensive to make. Hopefully that is a good thing and not a motivation for cancellation. Their previews of a dinosaur attacking a car better be a frequent occurrence, because if it is, I'll be hooked. It better not be like Lost where they advertise this crazy dinosaur noise, and then not talk about it until Season 3. I have high hopes. 
  • Last Man Standing - Tuesdays @ 8PM, Begins 10/11 - We may not be able to watch this, we already have two other shows on at 8PM on Tuesdays. I don't know how that would work. With that said, it's blatantly obvious that ABC is doing this because the show's premise is exactly the opposite of Tim Allen's old hit, Home Improvement. This plot is that Tim Allen is the father of 3 young daughters. See it now? The concept of seeing Tim Allen completely flipped over, really intrigues me. To say I'm a fan of his show Home Improvement is an understatement. I watched it live when I was little and then watch the reruns religiously. I really want to see how this show works, but with it's difficult time slot, I might not be able too.
What shows are you watching?

P.S. - Thank goodness for DVR. We always tape the shows and skip commercials, that saves SOOO much time. 

3 comments:

Not sure if it's a Fall TV program, but we just picked up Mad Men, fell in love, and are trying to fly through it to catch up.

We actually watch a fair number of the same shows you do, although I'm much more conflicted about some of them. I still like my Survivor and Big Bang Theory. I loved the first two seasons of How I Met Your Mother, but as the various clues to the mother have led nowhere, I've stopped trusting the writers. I kind of hate the show now, but I continue to watch, hoping it can regain its previous glory. I only watch the physical challenges and goodbye montage on The Biggest Loser. GLee is definitely a big hit or miss show, but when it hits (Teenage Dream), I love it.

How'd you make your picture bar at the top?