Saturday, August 13, 2011

July 2011 Movies

Boy have I been slacking on the whole posting thing.

Best movie of the month, without a doubt, was Secretariat. If you see any of the ones below, definitely see that one!! Here are the movies we watched in July

  • The Plain Truth (2004) - 3 stars - This movie was based on a book that Liz had read. She said the author "is very well known for twist endings". So I was expecting it and guessing and I was totally wrong. It was enjoyable.
  • Percy Jackson: The Lightning Thief (2010) - 4 stars - This was my second viewing and I enjoyed it even more the second time. It's very Harry Potter-esk with it's magic and mystery. I really like the demi-God idea as the plot for a movie, but I never thought it was that good until this movie. 
  • The Kids Are All Right (2010) - 3 stars - Movies where the plot revolves around infidelity make me uncomfortable. I don't like watching it because I'd like to remain in my little bubble of "it doesn't happen". It really is a life ruin-er and I don't want any part of it.
  • Rescue Dawn (2006) - 3 stars - I continue to be impressed by Christian Bale's acting skills. He did an amazing job in this one as well.
  • Hall Pass (2011) - 3 stars - Another infidelity movie, although in this one the outcome was expected. He got into a fight with his wife, they went on a break, and then with his "Hall Pass" he realized how terrible not being married was. That's pretty much how I feel about the whole situation.
  • You Again (2010) - 2 stars - Kristen Bell is awesome, but this movie was super boring and dumb.
  • Sudden Impact (1983) - 1 star - I stopped this after a while. Like I've always said, most old movie are terrible, this one included.
  • No Strings Attached (2011) - 4 stars - I want so badly to hate Ashton Kutcher (mainly because of Punked) but as it turns out, it's the opposite. He played the good guy throughout this movie and I enjoyed it a lot. I'm actually really looking forward to seeing what he does on Two and a Half Men.
  • Kevin Hart: Seriously Funny ( 2010) - 1 star -Seriously not funny. If you can't make one joke without cussing, then you are not a funny person. Cussing is a crutch. It's kind of like hitting a home run with an illegal bat. Sure people laugh, but it's not because of you.
  • The Kite Runner (2007) - 3 stars - Liz watched it without me. She says "It was a good movie, a little slow paced and there were sub-titles, but it was good."
  • Secretariat (2010) - 5 stars - You know that feeling at the end of a movie that makes you want to stand up and throw your fist in the air and yell "YES! YES! YES!" Anyone? Just me? OK, well that's how I felt at the end of this movie. I'll have to see it multiple times before I can actually declare this to be true, but it might be up there with Rudy and Cinderella Man as one of the best "sports" movies I've ever seen. I've never thought of horse racing as a sport, but it's in the genre. The races kept me on the edge of my seat and it really built up to a fantastic ending. Absolutely loved this movie.
  • Alice in Wonderland (2010) - 2 stars - We thought this would be a good movie, but it was actually weird and dumb. Johnny Depp is always awesome, but he sure does like weird roles. There was also a cameo from one of the original Alice in Wonderland actors, that was funny to see. 
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II (2011) - 5 stars - The best Harry Potter movie without a doubt. You can read my thoughts in this previous post.

0 comments: