Sunday, July 31, 2011

August Challenge: Run Every Day

Have you ever heard of this club? U.S. Running Streak Association

The concept "is to run at least one continuous mile within each calendar day under one's own body power". If you do that for 1 year, you become a member of the organization and they put your name on the website. I don't think I can make it for 1 year, but I'm going to try and do it for the entire month of August.

This is going to be a crazy hard challenge. I don't like running in the mornings on work days because I already get up so early, so during the week I'll do most of my running at the gym since it's still very hot outside in the afternoon. It's not going to be easy on the days that I'm busy either. Sometimes it's tough to fit in exercise into your day and as easy as 1 mile sounds, it's still will be an inconvenience on some days.

I'm sure there will be nights where I'm sitting here at 9PM thinking "oh crap! I forgot to run". That's going to be tough to get up the motivation to get out there. On those nights, I'll just throw on some running clothes and maybe take Gryffin out there with me. I've always wanted to see how he could do with running if I brought him along.. Daisy is too much of a wanderer to pay attention to running the whole time, but I think Gryff could do it.


I bet most of these people have really nice treadmills, I can see how that would be a huge help with this type of challenge.

The reason I'm doing this is to use the challenge to kick start my running again. I've taken a little bit of a break in July from running and have only done about 30 miles in the whole month. I figure in this challenge I'll probably do about 100 miles in August and that's what I need to get back into it.

I'll post an update soon on my July Challenge of no burgers or fries. It's been really really easy. There were a few occasions where it was just inconvenient, but it made me realize how much I actually don't have those things on a regular basis.

1 comments:

Nice, good luck. Have you heard of this guy? http://m.wired.com/playbook/2011/06/qa-beer-runner/all/1

He did one beer a day and one mile a day for a year. Also a good article. A new challenge for you?