Monday, July 11, 2011

June 2011 Movies

I'm watching the Harry Potter series all week to get ready for the last one that comes out on Friday. I couldn't be more sad and excited at the same time. I'd say more sad because I do not want to see the movies end. I will definitely be sitting there in the theatre thinking "this is it... this is the end." Sure I'm excited to see how the ending is portrayed, but most likely, we will never see new Harry Potter content released in a theatre :(.

Well usually the Summer is reserved for lots of movie watching with all the terrible TV shows out and good shows in re-runs. But I think we're actually watching fewer movies. I don't know why. Are these movie reviews worth while? Just curious.

Here are the movies we watched in June:

  • The Good Shepherd (2006) - 1 star - I never thought Matt Damon could appear in a bad movie. He's always awesome, but holy crap was this a wretched movie. It DID NOT need to be 3 hours. 
  • 127 Hours (2010) - 5 stars - I thought this movie was going to be boring. I was surprised how interesting they kept the movie despite the fact that it's about this dude who is trapped for 127 hours. The ending is graphic so beware, but the movie is well worth it. We enjoyed it a lot. Plus it was one of the first movies I've ever seen in Blu-ray, so that helped.
  • Repo Men (2010) - 3 stars - Mediocre action movie. I thought it'd be graphic and difficult to watch, but it wasn't that bad. I really like Forest Whitaker.
  • Made of Honor (2008) - 3 stars - This was a cute and predictable romantic comedy, although they always are.
  • Couples Retreat (2009) - 4 stars - I purposefully had this shipped to us a second time through Netflix. Combine a funny plot, good actors, and great views of the tropics, and this is a good movie to watch. 
  • Knight and Day (2010) - 4 stars - It was impressive how much action was in this movie. It was just non-stop, possibly more than a Bond movie. We really enjoyed it.
  • The Queen (2006) - 3 stars - Wow did this movie try and change your opinion of the royal family. They painted The Queen as being controlling and paranoid and the Princess Diana as being out of control and flaky. The only person that came off well is British Prime Minister at the time Tony Blair and possibly Prince Charles. It's worth a watch though for anyone interested in learning more about the royal family.
  • The Dilemma (2011) - 4 stars -I'm in love with Vince Vaughn. His comedy is hilarious to me, the way he uses his fast talk and sarcasm. If you like Vince, then this won't disappoint.
  • Beer Wars (2009) - 5 stars - Who knew the beer industry had so much drama? I was surprised to learn about all the money the big beer companies like Miller, Bud, and Coors spend on government lobbying. I also am making an effort to never buy beer from them again and instead support the micro-breweries. The whole system is corrupt and it's infuriating to see what the big companies will do to crush the little guys. I highly recommend this documentary.
  • I.O.U.S.A (2008) - 5 stars - This would be a great documentary if it were up to date, but as it is, it's based on 2008 numbers. Although it's hilarious to hear their concern about the debt and deficit in this country when it was only 8 trillion in 2008. Now it's up to 14 trillion. Our country is screwed, there is no politician or political party that will fix this mess.
  • A Simple Twist of Fate (1994) - 3 stars - The end of this movie is infuriating. Custody of a child should not come down to who is richer than the other. Maybe I'm naive?

2 comments:

You have to watch The Lincoln Lawyer. It comes out today. Dad and I really enjoyed it. We saw it in a theater.

Did you get a Blu-Ray player? And...are you sticking with Netflix after the price hike?