Saturday, July 2, 2011

July Challenge: No Burgers & Fries

The challenge is simple and I came about it simply as well. Last weekend after stuffing my face following the marathon, Liz and I were talking and she said "you get burgers far too often at restaurants". Now I wouldn't say it is "all the time", but I certainly don't stick to the "happy-meat" rules that she does.

Well she followed up that statement by saying: "I challenge you to go one month without a burger".

I am not one to back down from a challenge (that is manageable). So I responded with: "Throw in the fries too and we've got a deal".

Her response: "DEAL!" We shook on it.

I think I eat fries way more often than burgers, almost every time we go to a restaurant in fact! So the challenge is, no burgers and fries for the whole month of July with the exception that I can have a burger as long as it's happy meat from the farm. To be honest, that basically means never because we only ever make tacos with our ground beef  from the farm.

Now I have to admit, we weren't thinking about the challenge at all yesterday (July 1st) and I had fries with my lunch. SOOOO, with the challenge fresh in my mind, it begins today (July 2nd) and will end August 2nd.

I am reading a new book right now that is lighting a fire under me and I am not messing around anymore with this running/dieting thing. I can't be running marathons at my weight, I just can't. I'll blog about the book when I'm done reading it, but it's the motivation I've needed to get my butt in gear (health-wise). This July Challenge is one way to help me accomplish that.

3 comments:

First of all, no burgers and fries sounds awful. Second, you're starting in July? 4th of July man! You HAVE to eat a hot dog and a hamburger!

We spent about 3 months or so completing weekend-long challenges including no soda, fast food, cussing, etc. You can check it out if you want..

http://floatingmidsection.blogspot.com/search/label/weekend%20challenges

And last, because I seem like a random follower... I came from Morales' blog.

tough time to start! was waiting to hear how the marathon went? hopefully it was a great trip...

The last thing I care about is tradition or the routine of cooking out on the 4th of July.

I'm all about changing up life and scrapping something as meaningless as certain foods.

Bill, just got back from our trip today actually. I am very anxious to post about the marathon, but haven't gotten pictures put together yet =P. Mt. Rainier is AMAZING, you are going to LOVE it.