Sunday, October 3, 2010

September 2010 Movies

Lots of 3 and 4 star movies this month.I thought our movie watching would slow down with the new shows starting but 15 or 16 movies is not too shabby. 

  1. Idiocracy (2006) - 2 stars - This had a couple funny parts and really made a lot of backhand slaps to the intelligence of our current society. But the silly plot made me give it 2 stars.
  2. Lucky Number Slevin (2006) - 3 stars - I have mixed feelings about this movie. It was a good story line but I think it ended up being slower than I expected.
  3. Fast and Furious (2009) - 3 stars - This was just as good as the first Fast and Furious movie. Versions 2 and 3 were awful, so I enjoyed them getting back to the Vin Diesel/Paul Walker combo.
  4. Freedom Writers (2007) - 4 stars - Just an updated Dangerous Minds movie but I think this one was better. A few parts were silly just to add drama, but I really enjoyed it. 
  5. Couples Retreat (2009) - 4 stars - I love Vince Vaughn and his fast-talking mumbling he does. I saw this movie when donating platelets but Liz hadn't seen it yet. It was funny enough to see multiple times. A classic date night movie.
  6. Leap Year (2009) - 3 stars - I haven't seen a movie with Amy Adams that I didn't enjoy. I think it's because the first time I saw her was in the movie "Enchanted". I was expecting a silly/stupid kids movie, but Enchanted is actually HILARIOUS. If you haven't seen it, you must. They really make fun of the Disney/Cinderella type movies. 
  7. The Tenth Circle (2008) - 3 stars - Liz watched this without me, can't remember what her comments were. 
  8. X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)  - 4 stars - Just like the Fast and Furious movies. This is the 4th X-Men movie and they finally got back to the standards of the first one. The 2nd and 3rd movies in this series were horrible, but this 4th one was good. What was interesting is that you're following the plot of Wolverine, and then all of a sudden someone busts out crazy mutant skills. Since it feels like such a normal plot type movie, it catches you by surprise.
  9. Kelly's Heroes (1970) - 2 stars - Am I the only person that feels like the older the movie is, the more likely it is to be boring. I could probably write a post on this topic, but there are VERY FEW older (pre-1985) movies that I enjoy. They, understandably, rely more on dialogue and less on action and graphics. Good movies with good dialogue is common, but to incorporate technology creates a FANTASTIC movie (see Avatar or Saving Private Ryan). Kelly's Heroes was boring enough that I stopped it half way through. I gave it 2 stars because I give it the benefit of the doubt. It was probably better relative to good movies 40 years ago.
  10. The Spirit (2008) - 1 star - I hate these artistic movies. Similar to this is the movie "Sin City". Not only are the crazy black and white graphics annoying, the plot was awful and slightly incomprehensible. Another movie I stopped halfway through, and I REALLY don't do that very often.
  11. King Corn (2007) - 4 stars - Another movie that makes you ill in regards to our country's food practices.I've seen my share of food documentaries and this managed to be different, original, and equally gross.
  12. Pandorum (2009) - 2 stars - Nothing to comment on here, just an average Sci-Fi movie. They did do a good job of creating some terrifying aliens.
  13. Race To With Mountain (2009) - 2 stars - This movie was super lame. Here's a hint, when making a movie called "Race to Witch Mountain", don't introduce "Witch Mountain" into the plot an hour into a 98 minute movie. I can't recall ever hearing the words "Witch Mountain", but I have to admit, it was hard to pay attention because I was disinterested in the plot. And it wasn't much of a "race". This movie should be renamed to "We'll Eventually Make Our Way to a Mountain That Shall Not be Named."
  14. The Young Victoria (2009) - 3 stars - Liz watched this without me, I think she said it was OK.
  15. I.Q. (1994) - 2 stars - Another movie Liz watched without me. She said it was stupid and corny. 
  16. Firefly (Full Series) - 5 stars - This show was fantastic. It makes me sad that it didn't last past 14 episodes. I wish we could see more and find out the secrets we'll never know.

3 comments:

I'll give my review for the movies I watched by myself:

The Tenth Circle: This is a made for TV movie, based on the book by Jodi Picoult. I liked it, but didn't love it. Actually, I think I would have been confused if I hadn't read the book already because the scenes were a little choppy. And as always, it was a little different from the book.

The Young Victoria: I really liked this - not just 'ok'. I thought I had given it 4 stars, but apparently I was being more critical than usual when I was done watching.

I.Q.: Dumb - do not see.

kelly's hero's? you had to be there. pre cgi and all, it was pretty good for the time. compared to todays tho, you're right. ho hum... it's an age thing i guess. ;-)

Firefly - I wish we could see more and find out the secrets we'll never know.

You know they continued the series as a graphic novel, right?