Sunday, February 22, 2009

MR 2: (2007) No Country For Old Men

Whether people want to admit it or not, everyone judges a book by it's cover. If you disagree with me then tell me why first impressions are important? But chances are you are dead wrong which is why everyone also says not to do it. This movie has been out for over a year and we just watched it last night for that very reason. The title sucks: No Country for Old Men. I have a very crazy imagination so I couldn't help but laugh at the thought of a mass migration of old people. Haha, yep, still funny. After watching this movie, I can happily report that the title of the movie is appropriate, so off we go.

This movie was fantastic for a variety of reasons, many of which could possibly ruin the ending for you, so I will try to show restraint. First of all there are slow, boring movies and then there are slow, intense movies. This movie was the latter of the two. It wasn't slow, scary though, which is a HUGE plus. Halfway through I found myself leaning forward with hands clenched rather than leaning back and relaxing. The scene I was watching was a guy walking through a field. Riveting, I know. There were fast action scenes but the movie did a great job of keeping you engaged no matter what was happening.

I don't know what Javier Bardem was paid for this movie, but it was half of what he deserved. Bardem played Anton Chigurh, the villain of the movie. Chigurh is a psychotic outlaw on the pursuit of Llewelyn Moss (Josh Brolin). Every scene with Chigurh in it, I wanted him to stop talking and go away. This wasn't because he was a bad actor but because I was afraid of what he would do to the person he was talking to. He is emotionless and extremely unpredictable in what psychotic behavior he might pull next. He would kill a baby if it was laying in his path. Javier couldn't have done a better job scaring me half to death. That's what villains are for right?

Half my enjoyment of this movie was in the weapons they used to kill people. I know that sounds terrible, but if you've seen the movie, you know what I'm talking about. Moss walked around with a pistol and a sawed-off shotgun. That's nothin' compared to Chigurh. He walked around with a compressed air tank gun and a silenced shotgun. Both weapons I've never seen before but both of which are freaking sweet to see in action. They should have called the movie "Crazy Guy with Awesome Guns", doubled the number of gun scenes, and I would have seen it the day it came out. What can I say? I judge movies by their titles!

The only disappointing part of the movie was the end, but that's only because it was so unexpected. In fact it was so unexpected, that Liz and I rewound the last scene to see if we missed why the movie was over. It caused a bit of confusion and sparked conversation. Have you ever seen a movie where you didn't get it until after it was over and had thought about it a little? The movie went from awesome to stupid to awesome again in about 5 to 10 minutes. Luckily it landed at awesome, and I totally recommend seeing it.

Satisfaction Rating: Steamed Vegetables. You probably enjoy them while your eating but once you're done you feel unsatisfied because they weren't a basket of fries. You just have to wait 20 minutes for that signal to get to your brain that your stomach is full, and you're glad it's full on steamed vegetables.