Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Do What You Love

Today I worked with Charlie for the whole afternoon in the lab. If you don't know Charlie, he is on my team and one of those people where if you start talking with him and you haven't laughed within the span of about 2 minutes, either hell has frozen over or Charlie is just not in a good mood. But it's rare, let me tell ya. So we had a lot of time to talk and that's always a good thing. We are similar people constantly aiming at similar goals so it's always nice bouncing ideas and thoughts off each other.

Charlie's dream job is to be an artist. I'm not even going to try and describe what kind of artist but in extremely stupid terms, he wants to be a digital artist where one picture tells a story. I guess that description didn't sound as stupid as I expected it to be. If you want to see what he's working on there's a link on the right or just click this one. He's talented to say the least and I definitely see his dream coming true at some point (although I have a hard time encouraging him since he's a valuable part of our team).

Today we got to talking about what I would do if my life was taken care of. Not if we were rich, but if we had no worries about paying our bills. I can't help but pinpoint my hobbies in that instance and try to piggyback a career off of them. My hobbies are running (sports), woodworking, and movies to only name a few. So I guess my potential career moves would be Personal Trainer, Woodworking Guy, Movie Reviewer.

I'm going to throw out Woodworking because I really don't think my back or muscles can take doing that 8 hours a day (but then again if I stop using a coffee table that might not be a problem). I'd LOVE to be a personal trainer. I have told Liz this before that if my job for 8 hours a day was to work out and help other people work out, that would be amazing. The problem really with that is that you need a ton of credentials to do it. Obviously if money weren't an issue I could get it eventually, but that's not really something I feel like spending time on at the moment. So Movie Reviewer it is! I watched 8 movies this past weekend and another one last night... it's just something I love to do and I don't think it'll ever get old.

As a promise to Charlie, I will start reviewing some movies that I watch. I think my problem with movie reviewers though is that none of them are right and none of them are wrong, their review is just an opinion. So why should I care to read an opinion from someone I don't know? Well you know me... so read it and care please.

Also going into this makes me very aware of my writing skills or lack there of. I stink at punctuating things, I use apostrophe's for no reason sometimes, I like starting sentences with "but" "also" and "and", and I really like using the word "and" 3 times in a row with it actually making sense, and I really enjoy run on sentences that sometimes lack punctuation or even have 5 subjects and verbs. My attempts at reviewing movies will not be focused on writing accuracy though, so please don't point out crappiness when it happens.

If you have any movies you want me to review, let me know and I'll get it on Netflix. When chick-flick nights start back up, it'll get pretty crazy some of the movies that go on here.

1 comments:

Sounds like we'd make a great team, since I love to proofread and you love movies. When you hit the big time, can I be your personal proofreader?