Sunday, February 5, 2012

It's All Coming Together

The baby's room is coming together! We've spent quite a bit of time over the last few months planning all the furniture, fabrics, etc and I'm happy to say that my vision is finally coming together.

Yesterday was all about windows. In the baby's room, we have 3 odd size windows - two smaller ones on the outside and a bigger one in the middle. After thinking about it for a while, I decided to treat it like one giant window instead of three separate ones. To tie all three together, we decided to build a window cornice to wrap around the curtain rod. It's finally done and I am so happy with the result!

Here's the finished product with the curtains open so you can see the 3 windows:


As you can see, the fabric around the cornice matches the quilt on the twin bed, and also the crib bedding which is just slightly out of view. I'll blog about all that stuff when the whole room is complete, but for now, let's just focus on this window.

Michael started the cornice by using some wood that was actually used as a larger cornice in his Grandma's condo in Florida. Since his parents have re-vamped the condo, the wood came to live in our garage for a while and was perfect for this project. It just needed to be re-sized a bit, but we like to think of it as Michael's Grandma looking over our little boy.

After he re-sized the wood, I used a staple gun to cover the front in batting to give it a little cushion. Then came the fabric! This was tricky because I wanted it to look like one extended piece of fabric, but it needed to cover over 100 inches of board. My awesome sewing skills came in handy and I was able to put 3 fabric pieces together. Of course I can see the seams, but overall it's not too obvious so I'm quite pleased! Once everything was sewed and ironed, Michael then used the staple gun to add on the fabric. He then used brackets on the inside to hold it in place against the wall. Luckily, he hit studs so this isn't going anywhere!

Here's the final product a little closer up. We have a subtle elephant theme going on and it's all based on this fabric. I love how it turned out!


We also purchased blackout curtains from Target (these if you are interested) and love them. We have the same brand curtains in our Sweet Room (TV room) downstairs to avoid light glare on the TV and we love them, so we wanted to make sure we're able to get this room as dark as possible as well.

Overall, I love how it turned out! Now we just need to organize some more things in here, paint an end table and get things on the walls and this room is done! With plenty (hopefully) of time to spare before Baby Fulton makes his arrival! And, from when I started typing this post, our final piece of big furniture arrived for the room and I am just rocking away as a type - it's awesome! More details to come as the room get finished!

3 comments:

That does look awesome, nice job. I think treating them as one large window was the way to go.

Beautiful! Ditto Jacob. Definitely perfect treating all three as one. And I love that you left the honeycomb blinds (is that what they are?) in there to cut the glare. It will be such a great place for little Fulton to play! Subtle elephant theme. I love that. :)

That looks fantastic! Nicely done, you two.