Wednesday, February 1, 2012

3 More Months of Movies

I've been slacking on the blog, and lately all I feel like writing about is babies and our baby prep. But no one really wants to hear about that. So other than that, all I could think of writing about is running or the movies we've seen on Netflix over the last few months. So for now I chose movies. We've seen a few in the theaters lately, but I didn't include those. 

November:

  • Bridesmaids (2011) - 4 stars - The first time I saw this movie in the theater, I just about fell out of my chair laughing. The second time around, it was nowhere near as funny. 5 stars in the theater and 3 stars at home, so we land at 4.
  • Get Him to the Greek (2010) - 4 stars - You ever seen Forgetting Sarah Marshall? Where Sarah Marshall runs away with Aldous Snow? Well this movie is all about Russell Brand acting as Aldous Snow again. I couldn't believe it when it came on. I really really enjoyed it, I think his character is hilarious.
  • Sex and the City 2 (2010) - 1 star - If I were to set out to write and direct the absolute worst movie I could possibly dream up, I still don't think I'd fall below this movie. It was mind numbingly terrible. 
  • Jonah Hex (2010) - 2 stars - I don't actually even recall seeing this movie, it was that forgettable. 
  • The Last Airbender (2010) - 3 stars - They definitely made this a difficult movie to follow, but they also clearly set it up for sequels. If you hang with it and follow the plot, it's actually a surprisingly decent movie. I look forward to the sequels. 
  • Shrek Forever After (2010) - 4 stars - Pleasantly surprised with this 4th Shrek movie, I wasn't a huge fan of any of them since the first, but this one came very close.
  • Charlie St. Cloud (2010) - 4 stars - I need to write these reviews down closer to the time I actually watch the movies. I remember really enjoying this movie, but I can't remember why. I really enjoy Zac Efron, I'm ashamed to admit, the High School Musical movies are really enjoyable. 
  • Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011) - 4 stars - This movie gets 4 stars mainly because the graphics are unbelievable. It's hard to believe that it can be done. The plot wasn't awful, usually I hate the plot in the transformer movies, but this time I could actually follow it. 
  • Hocus Pocus (1993) - 2 stars - The only reason this didn't get 1 star was because it was made in 1993. I understand it was made for kids, but even so, it's so incredibly awful. It has completely been ruined for me as a good movie to watch around Halloween. Although leave it to Netflix to ship it to us on the day before Thanksgiving. 

December:

  • Capitalism: A Love Story (2009) - 2 stars - Basic premise: highlight the people who got damaged the most by the recession and have them complain on camera about their struggles. What doesn't make sense is that they featured some families who had lived in the same house for 30 years and those families lost their home. My question is, why don't they own their house by now? I personally cannot watch the movie and not think about how ridiculous their money management had been all these years. Of course it's everyone else's fault except their own. I didn't feel very sorry for the people they featured, which is probably why I only gave it 2 stars. 
  • Going the Distance (2010) - 3 stars - Typical romantic comedy, you could see the plot climax coming from a mile away. I still enjoyed it though. The only thing I didn't like is, I can't imagine anyone like Drew Barrymore falling for a guy like Justin Long. 
  • Wales: A Nationhood (2006) - 2 stars - I thought I'd learn something about Wales, but it was flat out boring. 
  • Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2010) - 1 star - It's not often that I don't finish a movie, but it happened with this one. Just couldn't stand it anymore. Just didn't find the plot set up interesting. 
  • Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead (2010) - 5 stars - This movie kick started my changing opinions about food. The book Eat to Live pushed me over the edge though. If you watch this movie, it'll make you want to buy a juicer. Which by the way, we now own one.
  • The A-Team (2010) - 3 stars - Decent action movie, and Liam Neeson does awesome every time, but that's about it. 
  • Takers (2010) - 2 stars - This is one of those movies Netflix recommended because it had no other options and it's required to. Very little about this movie was interesting, stupid Netflix.
  • Easy A (2010) - 2 stars - I don't find Emma Stone attractive, even a little bit. So that and the fact that the movie had a pointless plot, it gets 2 stars. 
  • The Town (2010) - 4 stars - Ben Affleck was awesome in this movie. I'm not a huge fan of Jon Hamm as he seems to me the human equivalent of a big tall board. He's stiff, uninteresting, and lacks personality. Even with him in it, I really enjoyed this movie. The costumes that they dressed up in was creepy too.
  • A Prophet (2009) - 2 stars - Another movie Netflix forces upon me with it's stupid recommendations. First of all Netflix, get the hint, there has never been a movie with subtitles that I've given more than 2 stars. I still watched the whole thing though, and I still can only muster giving it 2 stars.
January:

  • Spirit of the Marathon (2007) - 4 stars - I think this movie was more designed for the beginning runner, but it was interesting to learn about the training habits of the elite athletes. I also feel bad for them. They have the same struggles I do, but on a grand scale. They train and train and train, running 100 miles per week, and then lose by 12 seconds in a 2 hour race. That's tough.
  • Life as We Know It (2010) - 3 stars - Nothing special about this movie. I really like Katherine Heigl, but that wasn't good enough to improve this movie. You could also see how the movie ends within 2 minutes from the start.
  • Fred Claus (2007) - 4 stars - I love Vince Vaughn, and very few of his movies will fall below 4 stars for me. I love his sarcastic demeanor most of all.
  • That Thing You Do! (1996) - 3 stars - Liz really hyped this movie to me, but usually hyping a movie only ends in disappointment. It was average at best. And I also really wanted more Tom Hanks, but he played a VERY minor role. 
  • Everything Must Go (2010) - 5 stars - Will Ferrell usually doesn't nail his serious comedies, but this one was awesome. Several times he busted out his sarcastic, Ricky Bobby-type, tone and it was very funny. I recommend this for all Will Ferrell fans, you'll enjoy it.
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: Stranger Tides (2011) - 3 stars - My immediate reaction was "Why was that called Stranger Tides"? They said the phrase once in the whole movie in a very insignificant scene. The plot was convoluted and boring. This series will never be able to touch the success of the first Pirates movie. I'm afraid it may continue to go downhill with any future movies. 
  • The Ghost Writer (2010) - 4 stars - This movie had my riveted from the start, but the ending left a lot to be desired. I actually can't claim to fully understand how it ended. It wasn't entirely clear to me, so I just assumed I missed something and it was excellent. The only reason I watched this was Pierce Brosnan and my love of the Bond characters. I'd recommend it.
  • Facing Ali (2009) - 1 star - Why are we praising a guy who very clearly dodged the Vietnam draft?? Between his trash talking and his draft dodging, I think he's a despicable human being. I got this movie to see if it may change my mind, if there was something I was missing, but no, he's a piece of ...
  • Winter's Bone (2010) - 2 stars - Got this movie because Jennifer Lawrence is the star in Hunger Games, so I wanted to see her in a movie before that. She did great in it and I think she'll rock Hunger Games, but she couldn't make up for this movie's plot. 
  • Morning Glory (2010) - 4 stars - I freaking love Rachel McAdams in all her movies. This was a really cute comedy, I'd highly recommend it.
  • Cyrus (2010) - 3 stars - This had "indie" written all over it, and yet had some big stars in it. It's basically a guy moves in with a girl who has a son who is angry about it. I think they could have done SOO much more with the plot. They have John C. Reilly and Jonah Hill and they can't create some hilarious prank scenes in the house? Come on. 

1 comments:

Wow, I didn't realize you hated subtitles so much. What have you seen with them?

My personal favorite subtitled movies are "Amelie" and "Hero", but then again I also loved "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World."