Thursday, November 4, 2010

October 2010 Movies

100th Post for the year!! Crazy. I'm also sad October is over. The perfect weather is starting to fade away along with things made of pumpkin. So sad.

I decided to blog tonight about movies too, not just football.

OK, I thought our movie watching would go down this month. How did it go up? That's a little embarrassing, as if all we ever do is watch movies. I think this next month though, it will for sure go down. I told Liz that I felt a little overwhelmed with the number of movies we were watching and how quickly DVD's were being shipped back and forth from Netflix. Leave it to me to take a fun, enjoyable hobby and turn it into a challenge,  job, or required task. So we reduced our Netflix account to only 2 movies at a time instead of 3. That should certainly reduce the amount. Although this month was the most movies we have ever watched through their instant streaming, 9 total.

  1. 30 Rock - Season 4 (2009) - 5 stars - We LOVE 30 Rock. It's so hilarious and almost every character is lovable in one way or another. Liz likes Liz Lemon the most and I like Tracy Jordan the most. Now we are all caught up and watching season 5 live. It's hard to wait a week each time.
  2. Defiance (2008) - 4 stars - Really great action movie. I am starting to love everything Daniel Craig touches. I am a huge Bond fan and love him in the Bond role. He excels in this movie too. It looks like this movie is based on a true story. I can't imagine having to live through those circumstances.
  3. Four Christmases (2008) - 3 stars - Liz didn't want to watch this because it wasn't Christmas yet. What's weird is that this movie gave me absolutely no warm-fuzzy-Christmas feelings. It might be the last time I watch it. It's good, but 2 times is enough.
  4. The Delta Force (1986) - 2 stars - Netflix suggested I see this Chuck Norris movie, so I gave it a shot. Let me say, for movie quality it gets 1 star, but this movie had me cracking up it was so hilarious. You know how movies have theme songs? Like in Rocky you hear "Eye of the Tiger" once or twice throughout. Well whoever came up with this movie's theme song liked it WAY too much. This is no exaggeration, but every other scene played the same song. I could almost guess when it would come on. Once you notice it, that's all you hear. Awful movie, but almost worth seeing for how bad it was.
  5. Love Happens (2009) - 3 stars - This movie was really promising. It had me engaged and interested in what was happening but just kind of let up halfway through and turned out to be a let down. It was still a decent chick flick.
  6. Deep Blue Sea (1999) - 2 stars - Another movie that had me rolling laughing with how bad it was. Here's the premise: "Through DNA modification, scientists breed larger sharks with larger brains -- and near-human intelligence. Soon, the sharks grow resentful of their captivity." When you have sharks swimming down the halls of the lab, you can't do anything but laugh.
  7. Observe and Report (2009) - 1 star - I LOVE Seth Rogen. Although he tends to be raunchy and obscene, his style of humor just gets me laughing so hard. He must have been desperate for movies when he took this one though. It had it's moments, but all the other moments were 1 star.
  8. Invictus (2009) - 4 stars - Matt Damon and Morgan Freeman probably poop rainbows. I haven't seen for sure, but that's just my guess. There is nothing they don't knock out the park. We really enjoyed this movie. During the World Cup, I read all about South Africa's history and this movie held true to what I read. If you know nothing about South Africa, Invictus is worth seeing just for the knowledge factor. It's an awesome movie regardless though. I only gave it 4 stars though because it was a bit slow at times. It didn't need to be 133 minutes.
  9. Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (2009) - 2 stars - To be honest, I didn't pay a lot of attention during this movie but that's because it was below average from the start.
  10. Planet 51 (2009) - 3 stars - This movie surprised me with how funny it was. I thought it would be stupid, but it wasn't.
  11. Lock Up (1989) - 3 stars - I'm a sucker for Sylvester Stallone. The plot was absurd, but if what you're looking for is for Stallone to be an outlier, kick some butt, and be unwaveringly loyal like all his other movies, then it's worth seeing.
  12. The International (2009) - 2 stars - We had much higher expectations for this movie. I really like Clive Owen, but it was really confusing, difficult to follow, and downright boring. It would have gotten 1 star, but Clive Owen is worth a second star.
  13. Bolt (2008) - 3 stars - I didn't expect to like this as much either. You probably aren't watching this for the riveting plot, but the ending was actually really moving. I am a sap for dogs and dog movies, but I didn't think animation would get me the way it did. It was super cute.
  14. G.I. Jane (1997) - 4 stars- Part of me has wanted to be in the military. There's just something appealing to me about being on an extremely regimented schedule and being expected to perform physically at the highest level. So I always enjoy military movies (A Few Good Men, Men of Honor, Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down), but then you add Demi Moore defying the odds and you can't help but enjoy it.
  15. G-Force (2009) - 2 stars - Not much to say, below average kids movie.
  16. South Park Spook-Tacular (2001) - 1 star - I cannot express just how much I HATE South Park. I don't know why, just do. I put this movie in our instant queue thinking it would get me excited for Halloween and 10 minutes into the first episode I turned it off. I put the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror in our queue instead. Maybe that will be a redeemer.
  17. Slap Shot (1977) - 1 star - If this is as close as a movie comes to being a realistic hockey movie, then I like hockey a little less. I've said it a few times, but old movies are boring. They contain more talking and less action. I'm sure that's due to technology issues, but I just did not enjoy this movie.
  18. When In Rome (2010) - 3 stars - Kristen Bell is turning into one of those actresses in which I will enjoy anything she's in, much like Rachel McAdams and Amy Adams. She was awesome in Couples Retreat and Forgetting Sarah Marshall.  The plot is not a good reason to watch this movie, but it was a good chick flick.

4 comments:

I love reading your movie reviews - I'm mid season of Studio 60 thanks to y'all. Really I only consider the ones you rate 4-5.

Thanks! how do you like it? you're going to be sad when it's over! :)

Loving it - it's a nice go-to between movies (and rainy days). I agree - I will be sad when it's over - I'm about 2/3 of the way through

Wow, you guys do see a lot of movies. I've been watching the same Netflix instant view movie (A State of Mind) for about a month now...

Have you seen Kristen Bell in Veronica Mars? She's amazing in it and shows much greater range than you'd expect if you've only seen her in movies.