Monday, November 22, 2010

Christmas Movies We Watch Every Year

Every year Liz and I have a tradition of watching our 4 favorite Christmas movies. I know Liz loves 2 of them (number 2 and 4 below), the other 2 she isn't crazy about. So I guess this is a list of my favorites for the Christmas season. I hope this tradition continues for many years to come because it's one thing about the holidays I look forward to the most. I love curling up with sweats on, a huge blanket, and the shades pulled up to enjoy the winter atmosphere and season. I'll take cold and bundled up over hot and no clothes any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Also, if anyone is wondering, all these movies have been given 5 stars in Netflix.

What's awesome is each movie is different in it's own way. We have hilairous, classic, childhood classic, and romantic. Here are the 4 movies.

1. Hilarious: Elf (2003)

You have to love Will Ferrell to enjoy this movie but man is it one of my favorites. The way he just delivers a line and then looks as if he's totally serious. It also gets me in the mood for the season because of his undying love for Christmas and the season. I also really enjoyed his romantic love interest, Zooey Deschanel. She did a great job with it. She doesn't have the greatest voice ever, but that was the point. It doesn't matter how good you sing if you're spreading Christmas cheer.  Quotes I love:

"Buddy the Elf, what's your favorite color?"


"You smell like beef and cheese, you don't smell like Santa" 

"Have you seen these toilets? They're GINORMOUS!"




2. Classic: It's a Wonderful Life (1946)


I have never watched this movie and not been emotionally moved by the ending. This is a classic in every sense of the word. I have often said that older movies are boring but this is one old movie that I'd put right at the top as one of my all time favorites. Wow, I can't believe I'm saying that about a 1946 movie. If you ever wanted an example of the kind of man you should aspire to be, George Bailey is it. He is a truly selfless person and does everything for everyone else, he just never realized all that he had given. It is a long movie, but well worth the time. Quotes I love:

"What is it you want, Mary? What do you want? You want the moon? Just say the word and I'll throw a lasso around it and pull it down. Hey. That's a pretty good idea. I'll give you the moon, Mary."


"Merry Christmas, movie house! Merry Christmas, Emporium! Merry Christmas, you wonderful old Building and Loan!"

"A toast to my big brother George: The richest man in town!"



3. Childhood Classic: Home Alone (1990)


This movie just brings me back to 1990. I remember the first time I saw it. My family wasn't a big movie going family, but we went to a sold out showing around Christmas. It was so sold out that we split the family up to find seats in the theater. Home Alone is every kid's dream of being given a moment of freedom and then tackling intruders with the wildest and most awesome traps. Every kid my age wanted that "Attack Plan" he created. Why do I still like it? You ever just listened to the music? They've got it all in there. And I love the story of the old man neighbor everyone was scared of. We all had one of those when growing up too. Quotes I love:

"No, for three reasons: A, I'm not that lucky. Two, we use smoke detectors and D, we live on the most boring street in the whole United States of America, where nothing even remotely dangerous will ever happen. Period."

"Guys, I'm eating junk and watching rubbish! You better come out and stop me!"

"I think we're getting scammed by a kindergartener."



 4. Romantic: Love Actually (2003)

Honestly, I think this could have been the greatest Christmas movie of all time except for the stupid nude scenes. Why did they include that garbage? It makes NO sense to me, have the two people working in the subway taking coins or something.. Take the nude scenes out and this movie is extraordinary. It's got everything in it.The point the movie is trying to make is that the most important part of the holiday season is spending time with the ones you love. This movie has love lost, love desired, love realized, and love achieved. My favorite parts are the Hugh Grant relationship and Aurelia relationship. Gotta love those two plots. Quotes I love:

"I will miss you. And your very slow typing... and your very bad driving."

"Thank you. That will be nice. Yes is being my answer. Easy question."

"I love that word 'relationship'. Covers all manner of sins, doesn't it? I fear that this has become a bad relationship; a relationship based on the President taking exactly what he wants and casually ignoring all those things that really matter to, erm... Britain. We may be a small country, but we're a great one, too. The country of Shakespeare, Churchill, the Beatles, Sean Connery, Harry Potter. David Beckham's right foot. David Beckham's left foot, come to that. And a friend who bullies us is no longer a friend. And since bullies only respond to strength, from now onward I will be prepared to be much stronger. And the President should be prepared for that."

 "Oooooo, would we call her chubby?"


I thought about including Charlie Brown Christmas, but we are not as consistent in watching that every year.  What movies are we missing here?

3 comments:

Please don't think badly of me when I say this...

I think It's a Wonderful Life is the most boring movie ever and I fall asleep every time I watch it.

Sad, I know. But I think I'll put Love, Actually on my list!

I like "A Christmas Story" and "Dutch"

You don't like the nude scenes in Love Actually?!! They might actually be my favorite part of the movie. I love the contrast between how bashful John and Judy are in words compared to their actions. Plus, they're just so sweet and considerate to each other.

I like Jamie and Aurelia too, but it's hard for me to not compare any Colin Firth character to Mr. Darcy.