Saturday, January 17, 2009

Liz 180

Over the Christmas holiday, Liz pulled a complete 180 on me and I just have to express my joy on the blog.

As kids, we all have our little preferences as to what foods we like and dislike. For me, I hated onions. I refused to eat them in anything even if I knew they were there but couldn't taste or see them. To this day I still hesitate with onions and am not thrilled with the raw onion taste, but I've gotten over it and eat them in anything. For Liz it was beans and she has never been able to stand them. The taste, the texture, everything about them was repulsive to her. What this also meant for our household was no chili, no refried beans, not baked beans... nothing like that or anything with beans... until...

Over New Years, we went to Atlanta to see my family and one of the dinners my sister made was a big pot of her chunky chili. I of course was thrilled but I think I could sense some hesitation with Liz. It wasn't the taste of chili, it wasn't any of the ingredients except beans that she was worried about. So dinner was served and the whole table chows down. I am usually a fast eater and by the time I finish my bowl, I start to get up for a refill and look over and Liz says "can you get me another bowl too?!" I tried to act nonchalant about it and got her another bowl the same size as mine. She downed the second as well.

After dinner I asked "so you liked it?!" and she said "yeah it was really good!" After further discussion, she was able to tolerate the beans and enjoyed everything else. I wasn't going to hold out hope that it was a taste changing dinner.

It is now January 17th, and tonight we are going to enjoy our 3rd chili dinner (not to mention the many left overs I have enjoyed) and I just want to jump up and down at the 180 that Liz has pulled with beans and chili. I told her last week "I don't want to talk about the fact that you have made chili twice since Atlanta because I don't want to ruin what we have going here... but you like beans now don't you?" And she said "They're ok", which I think is translated to "yeah they are really good but I don't want to admit it."

So after 1.5 years of no chili meals in the house, we are now enjoying the reintroduction of chili and I can't express how happy it makes me. Also all 3 chili recipes she's used have been different so I think she's enjoying the creativeness it has brought to cooking new meals. I don't think I'm going to hold out hope for refried beans though... and that's ok.

If you have any awesome chili recipes you can send Liz, feel free, cuz we'll try em now :).

3 comments:

I have an AWESOME chili recipe. It's called Cattleman's Chili and I think it might be in that silver cookbook. It has chorizo and stew meat and ground beef and beans and BEER! And I think it tastes especially good with dark beer. Last time I used an oatmeal stout, I think. Seriously good. It is NOT the same chili that I made for you last spring with the beans that were not cooked through. Sorry about that.

I'm so happy that Liz is moving toward being a bean eater! It opens up such a HUGE world of possibilities! And beans are so cheap. Perfect Dave Ramsey food.

Here is the recipe for that first chili I made.

Oddly enough John's recipe is one of the same chili recipes I like. We also make a quick chili which is just 1 lbs ground beef, 1 onion, garlic, 1 can each of corn, black beans, kidney beans, diced tomatoes and 1 jar of salsa. We serve it with corn chips, cheese and sour cream.