Saturday, September 17, 2011

New Challenge: Me vs. Daisy &Gryffin

*DISCLAIMER* - I am well aware of how ridiculous this challenge is. I am not taking this seriously. It is 90% fun.

Over the past few days, while petting the dogs, I have noticed they are a little more pudgy than I think they should be. The vet actually keeps telling us, "they are slightly higher than they should be, by maybe a pound or two". Which for two dogs as small as them, a pound or two is a LOT.

Well lately I have also been meaning to drop a few pounds so I figured what's better than making it a challenge. Me vs. Daisy & Gryffin.

It's basically like Biggest Loser, who ever loses the most weight percentage wise wins. They dogs will count as one person, so their weights will be combined.

This morning I weighed them and Daisy weighed 13.4 pounds and Gryffin weighed 18.6 pounds. This is where my "DISCLAIMER" is important. I won't be starving them, I won't be working them out in any abnormal way. I will keep their food the same. What I am going to change though is the amount that I walk them.

These days, we are lucky if we take them on a walk once a week. When I say walk though, I mean going all the way around our 1.2 mile neighborhood. They do plenty of running around in our backyard and house but for this challenge, I am going to make it a requirement that I take them on 5 walks around the neighborhood every week. So if I do it every day, Monday through Friday, that's good enough. I also intend on taking them to the dog park more often, but I don't want to set a requirement for that.

I thought of this idea yesterday, so I started this morning by weighing the dogs first thing when we woke up. This challenge will go until October 29th, which is Halloween weekend. I love Halloween so having a goal set for that weekend is very fitting.

My goals here? Realistically I think the dogs each can lose 1 pound. Doing the math, that would mean I'd have to lose 12 pounds from my current 184. OOF! That's a lot of weight, but I'm going to try!

What am I going to do? I'm going to get back to my daily healthy routine and also do a lot more than just running at the gym. I need to switch up my cardio by doing some stair master and also lift some weights.

Wish us luck!

0 comments: