Saturday, June 11, 2011

May 2011 Movies

We didn't watch too many movies in May seeing as all our shows were wrapping up, but we managed 7 movies and 2 TV seasons. There are a couple movies below that I ruin in my reviews. More specificallly, "Fracture" and "Knowing". Lots of really good movies though, looks like only 1 below average one.

  • The Switch (2010) - 4 stars - The plot of this movie is completely silly, but if you get past that, it was cute and enjoyable. 
  • Fracture (2007) - 4 stars - This movie mad me very angry up until the last 2 minutes. I was waiting for redemption and justice. I started thinking it wouldn't come... but it did, as usual with most movies. 
  • Parenthood: Season 1 (2010) - 5 stars - This show is freakin' awesome. I didn't think I'd enjoy it. I can't think of any other drama similar to it that I've enjoyed in the past. The characters are endearing, the comedy is subtle and sarcastic, and the story lines are realistic. I highly recommend it!! It's still currently airing on NBC, starting it's 3rd season this Fall. We can't wait until season 2 comes out on DVD. 
  • The King's Speech (2010) - 4 stars - It's very clear why Colin Firth got an Oscar as the best actor. He did a phenomenal job for sure. I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars because it was kinda slow and boring at times. I don't think the movie was worthy of it's Oscar for Best Picture, but it was still good. 
  • Knowing (2008) - 3 stars - This movie was really intriguing and great up until the last 10 minutes. I'm about to ruin the movie for you. It is a total cop out for a movie to be well constructed, intriguing, and mysterious, and then for aliens to be introduced as the explanation for everything. I mean SERIOUSLY!? That also happened in the last Indiana Jones movie, and it's just pathetic. Whoever wrote this movie needs to try a little harder. 
  • The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010) - 2 stars - Not a whole lot to say about this movie, I never bought into what the plot was dishing out. Just was silly and boring. 
  • Salt (2010) - 4 stars - I'm not a huge Angelina Jolie fan, but she kicked major butt in this movie. There were also 4 or 5 complete plot shifts that made it difficult to figure out what was actually happening in the movie, which was really cool.
  • Without Limits (1998) - 4 stars - I love me some sports movies. This was the second Prefontaine movie I have seen and I think it beats the other one (named "Prefontaine"). I just remember Prefontaine being somewhat depressing and not uplifting. I felt like this movie really did a better job of telling Pre's story (assuming historical accuracy). 
  • Merlin: Season 2 (2008) - 5 stars - This show is very silly and predictable but I love it. The characters are just so likable and the story lines are intriguing. I also don't know what it is about movies about ancient Rome or English Kingdoms or medieval times, but I love them. 

0 comments: