Sunday, June 12, 2011

Impromptu Renovation

We've made it well known to many people that we hate our kitchen cabinets. They are an ugly color and even more frustrating is the fact that the laminate continues to chip away. Let me show you what I mean. Here are our ugly cabinets:


And here is a picture of the hideous chipping that goes on with them. Literally every single cabinet has chips just like these in them. I am not willing to touch-up or improve laminate cabinets that are already hideous in the first place. Let the chips fall where they may with these pieces of junk, I'm not going to improve them. 


So while making toast this morning, my frustration got the best of me and I decided to give the chipping cabinets a little assistance. This action took me about 3 seconds in one fell swoop. Needless to say, Liz was a little shocked when she came downstairs. To be honest, I think she had a burning excitement inside that was masked by her "I can't believe you did that" shock. She may hate the cabinets more than I do, so to see me give in to my spontaneity was exciting to her.  


Our plan has always been to strip the cabinets of the laminate, paint them white, and put some knobs and miscellaneous hardware on them. It's a pretty cheap way to renovate some terrible looking cabinets. But that plan was supposed to happen all at the same time.

I think what Liz wanted to avoid was months and months of the kitchen looking awful and completely destroyed when guests come over. My opinion is that I don't care what people think. It's not like we're living on straw beds with pigs in poop. We can do what we want with what we have and if people don't like it, then who cares. That's why we've gone 3 years with 3 holes in the carpet that the dogs dug up. The holes don't bother me and I am not going to spend a fortune on new carpet to avoid some sort of embarrassment from our carpets having holes. The conversations usually go like this "What's with the holes in your carpets?"... "Puppies, what are ya gonna do?!" In fact, I don't think I've ever posted their handiwork, each one is a little larger than a quarter:


So, this may have been a little spontaneous, and like the title states, a little impromptu, but soon we will be working to rectify the ridiculous chipping that continues to wreak havoc in our kitchen. We soon may have more cabinets that look just like the one I destroyed this morning, that is if my curiosity and proactiveness gets the best of me.

1 comments:

WOOHOOO!!! There's nothin' I love more than freshly painted cabinets! I bet you guys can get it done in a weekend or two tops. Can't wait to see the big reveal!

I've got a bunch of links to cabinet painting tutorials and before-and-after photos. If you want them, I'll send them your way.