Thursday, April 1, 2010

What Does 15 Tons of Dirt Look Like?

Haven't you always wanted to know the answer to that question? Yeah...I'm sure.

It's been a few weeks since I've updated you all on the progress of our garden, but I am happy to report that we have dirt and are ready to plant! Last Saturday we had a dump truck of approximately 15 tons of topsoil delivered in our driveway.

Here it comes!




At this point we're thinking "oh crap". Although, now looking back at this picture, it doesn't look as big as it did in person.



One wheelbarrow full at a time (59 to be exact) was brought back to the backyard....and it only took us about 5 hours. Every time we went to the back, we thought we wouldn't have enough because it didn't seem like we were making any progress. But then we'd go back to the driveway and think we were going to have way to much and didn't know what to do with it all. It turns out we ordered the perfect amount!


And the end result is a garden full of nice topsoil/compost.


It's nice that the initial building of the garden is done, but I've spent the last week researching and taking notes on what to plant, where it should go, whether to buy seeds or plants from a garden center, etc etc. I am very excited to get started, which should be this weekend, although the official last frost is April 15. I doubt it will get below freezing here again, but I'll be planting the more hardy things first. I have a feeling I'll be impatient...I want fresh veggies now!

More updates to come after I get my seeds/plants this weekend!


2 comments:

Wow -- it looks awesome! Can't wait to see those veggies growing and hear what you're putting where. Great work!

How many cubic yards was it?