Sunday, April 18, 2010

Gryffin the Gnome

As I mentioned in one of my first posts about the garden, we decided to name it Daisy's Garden. This is because there used to be a huge pile of dirt in that corner of the yard and Daisy would always climb it...becoming known as Mt. Daisy. To show the name in a subtle way, I made a stone a few weeks ago with a daisy:


How could we do that and leave out Gryffin? We couldn't, of course, but it just took a few weeks longer to find the perfect way to incorporate him into the garden as well.

Meet Gryffin the Gnome:
Don't be confused...it actually has a silent G. So it's really Ryffin the Nome. He's our new garden protector, just chillin on the stone wall smoking his pipe. I think he's pretty cute!

In plant news, everything seems to be growing well so far. Unfortunately, we did have our first plant casualty. Last week a very large branch fell from our tree and landed right on top of a Jalapeno pepper plant. It's still in the ground because we want to see if it will grow back, but it's pretty much just a stick in the ground with a leaf. Pretty sad looking. Also in vegetable casualty news, we have a lot of determined birds that started trying to steal the bean plants last weekend. To deter them, we put a mesh fabric over top the beans (and carrots by default) so the birds could no longer get to them. Now, the bean plants are thriving.

Unfortunately, we still have no progress from Romaine lettuce, and watermelon. Nothing, nada. I'm not sure what's going on there, but everything else is looking great!

1 comments:

Love the glass/stone daisy! Haha and "Ryffin the nome"!

I'm so excited about the progress of your delicious garden, let me know when I can pick up my first CSA basket :)