Wednesday, April 7, 2010

If I Were To Get A Tattoo

I have always said that I would never get a tattoo. And for anyone who just gasped from surprise, don't worry, I still don't have one. Not to say that I think it's a bad decision, it's just mainly because I think in most cases I would immediately regret it. I can just see myself sitting there at age 60 looking at the tattoo thinking, "why did I tattoo that on myself?". I happened to come across this article on one of the Bengals players named Rey Maualuga who recently got a big tattoo on his side that says "Never regret anything because at one point it was exactly what you wanted...". I thought the statement was ironic because the chance of "regret" is the reason why I've never been interested in getting one.

It got me thinking, is there any situation where I would get a tattoo? I think there is. It would have to occur as the result of an extremely significant accomplishment in my life. More specifically, an accomplishment that is a test of will and stamina far beyond the normal bounds of achievement. What do I mean by that? If you asked me 5 years ago if a marathon was significant enough, I would have absolutely said "yes". But now that I've done 3 and plan on doing 4, I just don't see it as difficult or significant enough. Don't get me wrong it's hard and awesome to do one, but when you finish a race involving several thousand people, it really diminishes the achievement a little bit. The only 2 realistic accomplishments I can think of at this point that I would deem worthy enough of a tattoo is if I were to compete in an Ironman competition or complete an ultra marathon. Of course there are others like climbing Mount Everest or Mount McKinley, but nothing I can say that I'd ever aspire to accomplish.

An Ironman is 140 miles of swimming, biking, and running. An ultra marathon is any race of a distance longer than a marathon(26.2 miles). So why does it take an accomplishment of that magnitude to get a tattoo?

  • I feel like the chances of regret would be much smaller if I'm tattooing something about the past.
  • The chances of regret would also be small if it's about a significant accomplishment.
  • It's definitely meaningful and something I'd want to be reminded of on a daily basis.
  • On that note, it would remind me of what I can do if I put the same time and effort into every task.
  • It can never be taken away from you. Nothing about that achievement will ever be different.
If I were ever to complete either of those goals, a tattoo might have to happen. Will I ever, I'd like to think so? But that's really why they're so significant, because you never know.

4 comments:

How about Scott's "eat the most/gain the least" contest on the cruise this winter? Do you think winning that will be significant enough? The competition will be pretty tough.

there is no doubt in my mind that I'm going to fail at that contest miserably... I don't hold back on a cruise... last time we were on one, I had a lunch where the only two things on my plate were steak and shrimp. It was glorious. And it will be again in December!

so you're saying that winning the next WhoLurks Around the Horn wouldn't be significant enough? noted...

i've been thinking of getting a tattoo myself. talking with janelle and my sister jan about that the last couple years. if and when i do, it'll be some sort of variation of our family coat of arms. family is something that is, always will be, and i'll never regret!