Wednesday, September 30, 2009

New Dog Bowls

Just wanted to post pictures of my most recent woodworking project. There aren't too many pictures of the steps I took to do it, but I'm loving the results and wanted to share them. Here are all the pictures:




What took the most amount of time was the stenciling of their names and signatures. It was about a half hour per letter if you include the drying. Also the paw signatures were created using a combination of a chopped off PVC pipe and the center hole from my athletic tape. We figured the way their names are written match who they are. Gryffin is a male and usually don't care about their signature. We figured he'd write in block letters. Daisy is a female and more fancy and we figured she'd have more curvy writing. Also Daisy is smaller than Gryffin so her signature is smaller.

I did learn one thing when working on this project and that is that white paint cannot be polyurethaned. You cannot see it in the pictures, but there is a slight yellow tint to the white paint. I was very upset about it at first but really, it's hard to see and no one would see it at first glance. Also as it was pointed out to me today, they are dog bowls and will get dirty anyway.

Also through this project, I have been asked to make 3 more dog bowl dishes, 2 for my sisters and 1 for my Mom's friend who will pay for the wood. I love having projects to work on. Although it seems like my deadline is Thanksgiving. I also have a Secret Santa woodworking project to work on as well. I better get hoppin' in October.

w00t October! More on that later!

1 comments:

You can buy a thin plastic sheet and make a stencil for the dog prints and just apply paint to the stencil and the dog print will take you seconds to apply to the platform. You could trace letters too and using a pen type blade (forgot what they are called) to cut through the stencil, you would have your lettering for any and all lettering you want to paint.
Great job. Proud of you. GF would have loved it and you.