Thursday, September 10, 2009

Give Me Ideas

As most people who read this blog know, I like to make things out of wood and more specifically, I like to make birdhouses. Well back in March, Liz and I went to the Raleigh birdhouse competition and it has inspired me to compete next year in it. I was prepared to walk in and be floored by the talent and super glad I didn't try to compete. But honestly, the houses there were not spectacular. I got confidence that whatever I make would and could do well. For more information on it, this is the site from this year.

What I learned from going to this is that the concept and idea of the birdhouse is MUCH more important than the talent or skills it takes to make it. I think a creative birdhouse would win over a nice looking one. So that's why I'm posting today. Can you give me some ideas for a sweet birdhouse design? Here's what I'm thinking about so far to get you started:

First Idea:
How sweet would a birdhouse look with the face of a transformer on it? The hole entrance could be the eyes or the hole at the top? Both front and back sides could be different transformer logos or the same logo on each side:
















Second Idea:

A bird house shaped like a beehive. I could get a branch from a tree outside and hang the beehive birdhouse from the branch to make it seem like it's an actual beehive and it will have an open slot for an entrance. I have no pictures of the idea, but I do have the concept mapped out in my brain.

Do you have an idea of a sweet birdhouse design? I am not looking for easy simple ones either although those are always appreciated. That Transformer birdhouse will be RIDICULOUSLY difficult to build (especially with my limited toolset). Any idea is a good one. Let me know what you think!!

4 comments:

I tend to lean towards simple birdhouses. These egg birdhouses are a favorite of mine (but they're glazed ceramic, not wood): http://www.jschatz.com/eggbirdhouses/index.html

I kind of like the idea of recreating those birdhouses with bent wood. You could steam and bend thin pieces of laminate vertically to create an egg-like shape, similar to how wooden boats/rafts are made. Even if it wasn't a perfect egg I can still see a similar shape (teardrop or diamondish) being nice.

I'm just not sure if this particular competition favors craftsmanship or cleverness, so this may be the wrong path to travel down.

I also liked this guy: http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/nidusa/ but I don't know how much equipment you have to do all of those miter joints.

I don't have any ideas, but i have a question.

Where do you buy your wood? I am looking for some specialty pieces of wood to give to someone who makes furniture. (I want it to be a surprise gift, so i can't ask him.)

Shoot me an email: joe DOT wilck AT gmail DOT com

I FINALLY got around to looking through your blog! And all the pictures...

Birdhouse suggestion? How about castles?

Shaped like a pine cone? Is that even possible?

Or like a pumpkin (I hate pumpkins, but you love them)?