Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Ultimate Gift

Anyone who hasn't seen this movie, YOU NEED TO SEE THIS MOVIE! Now, granted, I enjoy chick flicks more than most guys, but I can't imagine anyone saying this movie isn't awesome or moving. But this post is not about that movie, it's just using the movie's title.

I'm posting this to praise my awesome wife and the gift she got me for my birthday. There are good gifts, there are great gifts, and then there is the ultimate gift. Let's review.

There is a good gift. A good gift is something you can get good use out of and you like it. An example of a good gift is a nice polo shirt. You didn't ask for it but will definitely wear it and probably look pretty good if your wife has good taste. That's a good gift. Liz didn't get me a polo shirt.

There is a great gift. I see great gifts as something new that you've always wanted but have never gotten. An example of a great gift is a new camera or a Ochocinco Bengal's jersey. You probably didn't need those things and probably never asked for those things, but are excited to have it. That's a great gift. Liz didn't get me a camera or jersey.

Then there is the ultimate gift. I see ultimate gifts as something you'll use, something that would be awesome to have, but most importantly is something the receiver has shown frustration over not having without having asked for it. The ultimate gift requires listening and caring, before providing. It's a gift as much from the heart as it is from the wallet. An example of the ultimate gift is Liz completing my golf iron set by buying me a 9 iron.

I think I might have heard someone laugh that my ultimate gift is a golf club, but let me explain. At the beginning of May, I inherited a set of Taylor Made Bubble Burners from my Dad that came without a 9 iron. It had been broken in an errant swing in the woods. I was frustrated without having it but just dealt with it. I definitely could have improved without it. As the weeks moved on, I have become obsessed with golf. Watching it, playing it, and obsessing over how to improve myself at it, all without a 9 iron.

I only mentioned it in passing because it's something that has frustrated me a few times every round. But it's almost impossible to buy just 1 iron. You have to buy the set. I can easily play golf without a 9 iron which is why I wouldn't buy it myself.

She listened to what I needed, spent time to find it, and got me what she knew I wouldn't get myself but that I would certainly get enjoyment out of. Completing my iron set, to me is the ultimate gift. So I just wanted to express my thankfulness on the blog. It's one of the most thoughtful gifts I've ever gotten.

Oh, and with the new 9 iron, I shot my lowest round for 9 holes since last year, a 42.

0 comments: