Saturday, July 19, 2008

RIP fultonjr.com

Back in 2002, I started co-oping with IBM and rooming with Justin, who was a web development fanatic. I really have him to thank for much of what I know about websites and how to run them, but at that time I was looking for a hobby. I workg during the day and after a while, coming home and watching TV just isn't that entertaining. My list of prospective hobbies got narrowed down to two activities I was interested in, web development and motor powered remote control cars. Obviously you know what I chose, but remote controlled anythings always interested me. I was on my own for the first time with money of my own for the first time so I really could choose whatever I wanted. The idea that I could get a little motor running that causes the car to go 40 MPH is amazing to me. I figured I'd learn a lot about motors and engineering and have fun at the same time. Never happened, but maybe some day...

A week ago I finally retired the website that I began that summer in 2002. I used it as a platform for developing school websites, messing around with personal sites, and creating my own personal blog. It wasn't expensive to own (about $80 a year) but I haven't used it consistently for a year and a half since we started this blog and I saw no reason why I needed it anymore. I am definitely going to miss it. I always enjoyed having a little space of my own on the internet. But I don't need it anymore. Liz and I have our own space now, it's right here on this page.

I think some company is trying to take advantage of the traffic because for now it's an advertisement site. I've got news for them though... not a lot of people go there... give it up.

RIP fultonjr.com.

1 comments:

<salute />

I think the thing I remember most is being utterly shocked and impressed that you did that logo by yourself. I mean I know plenty of programmers that could never get close to that--I always thought that was cool.

Sad to see it go, but it is a little liberating to get rid of web servers you don't use a lot. I recently moved to Tumblr for my blog backend at gravitywins.com, and it's been great to not to have to fool with that aspect of the coding.