Saturday, July 19, 2008

Running's Not So Bad - Week 4 Review

What an amazing week of running! Who'd a thunk! I ran 3 miles on Tuesday, 4 miles on Wednesday and then 3 miles on Thursday. I have to note that I drank 24 ounces of milk while writing the running blog last Tuesday and that wasn't smart before a 3 mile run. But I ran all 3 of those runs at 9 minute miles which is good enough for me right now. The Wednesday one was tough and miserable but I finished it with a little walking. Sometimes the point of runs is not to do them fast but to do them period. Especially the long ones between 15 and 20 miles.

Today I ran 9 miles on the treadmill at the gym and did it in 1 hour and 25 minutes. I basically set the treadmill at 6.3mph and then finished the last mile at 6.5 mph. I didn't feel tired after it either. My legs were a bit sore but it was a great run. The amazing part is that from the second I started to the second I finished, my heart rate never moved from 145 bpm. 9 miles and my heart was still 145!! Granted it was indoors with no wind or heat but during my first marathon, I set a goal for myself to not exceed 160 bpm before the 10 mile marker. I am already there!! That's ridiculously exciting. I am very encouraged and am looking forward to the running this week.

I have read that a good predictor of your physical condition is your heart rate 2 minutes after you completely stop running. If you are in good physical condition it should be 40 bpm slower. I was speed walking for 3 minutes after the run and my heart rate was 125 after 3 minutes. And then I stopped completely and stood still for 2 minutes and my heart rate after that was 100 bpm. So it's not too bad, definitely have some improvements to make there. I think next time I'm going to stop immediately to see what it is.

Anyway, I'm psyched about running now and hopefully I can keep up the training!!

mile counter: 43

Tomorrow Liz, Liza, Liz's Mom, Liz's Dad and I are all going to Wet-n-Wild Emerald Point. It's a massive water park. Liza is psyched and so are we. Check it out:

http://www.emeraldpointe.com/

Hopefully we can get some good pictures and post them this week.

1 comments:

Hey way to jump back into it and hold on until things get better! Running again with any kind of consistency seems inconceivable to me right now, but once Ashley is able to do full physical activity I think we may do some running together. Congrats on some good runs!