Monday, May 16, 2011

Take a Guess - 85 Pounds of Change

Back in 1998, I was given a change bottle by one of my sisters since they didn't want it anymore. At the time, filling that container to the top was laughable. Well who has the last laugh now Mr. Coke-Bottle?!

13 years later, the masterpiece is complete. Between Liz and I, we managed to roll all the coins in about 6 hours over the weekend. This morning, in a plastic crate, I lugged it into our bank and deposited it all. The manager helping the teller even said "this is hands down the largest coin deposit I've ever seen at a bank." Here is the bottle in all it's glory:


So here's the fun part. Post a comment with guesses on two things:
 
Guess how much money in coins is in the bottle?
Guess the total number of coins in the bottle?

This does not include the cash that was in the bottle, only the coins. You have until Friday, at that point I will reveal the totals.

Here are a few stats to help:
  • The bottle weighed 85 pounds. 
  • The bottle is 24 inches tall. 
  • The bottle is 7 inches wide in diameter at the bottom.
There will probably be a prize for the winning guess, but I haven't decided what yet. Liz and I both had guesses but I'll post those with the results on Friday. A few silly people have suggested I give the winner a cut of the money, yeah right!

Guess away!

10 comments:

I am going to guess $1200 and 3300 coins and Dad is guessing $3120 and14,250 coins. Dad's boat fund piggy bank is full of quarters. Want to guess on that?

$3121 and 8000 coins

I estimate $1059.26 and 10063 coins

11044 coins worth $853.98.

Assuming this is a normal distribution of coins (i.e. you didn't keep out quarters for arcade games, laundry and gum ball machines), and the weight of the bottle is negligible to the 85 pounds. I calculate $1044.43 and 10,550 coins. With that said I am going to make an adjustment because I feel that a normal distribution of coins is not the case here and my final guess is $1026.73 and 10,626 coins. Congratulations on the coinage. I have the same bottle and I rob it whenever I think it has about $50 in it.

I guess $1,356 and 9,165 coins. Dad says $1,289.24 and 11,632 coins

My bid is $1 Drew.....

Oh, not the Price is Right? OK, my guess is $3,515 and 4,560 coins.

Sounds crazy, but numbers tell me:
$1101.61 and 37,710 coins.

Here is to you having $318 +/- dollars in pennies....

648.00 - Annie