Monday, February 7, 2011

January 2011 Movies

I really should count the number of hours I must have wasted watching these shows this month, and then seen how much better at woodworking or running I would be if I spent an equal amount of time at that. Although it seems like no matter how busy life gets or how many extra tasks I take on outside of work, the one thing I am not willing to give up is a little relaxation time.

The sheer quantity probably makes us look really bad, but Liz doesn't watch all this with me. For example, she watched hardly any of the Man v. Food episodes. Those are 20 minutes each. I always have exactly 30 minutes during lunch when I come home so I can watch 1.5 episodes at that time. Plus with the adoption of "Instant Streaming", we no longer have to get all these movies shipped. Only 7 of the items below were watched on DVD. 

So anyway, here are the movies and shows for January, it was a month full of awesome movies:

  • The Invention of Lying (2009) - 3 stars - Saw this the first time while donating platelets, second time at home. It's cute, but predictable. I like Ricky Gervais, he's funny.
  • Date Night (2010) - 4 stars -What could go wrong? It's Steve Carrell and Tina Fay! Actually, these kind of movies stress me out. Being so cheap, I naturally end up starting to count up the amount of money it would cost for them to get out of the situation they are in. It seems to always work out in the end.
  • Hot Tub Time Machine (2010) - 3 stars - Allow for the ridiculous to be funny, and it's pretty funny. Although I still hate John Cusack.
  • Iron Man 2 (2010) - 5 stars - I will never get tired of Ironman, I am loving this series.
  • It's Complicated (2009) - 4 stars - Much funnier than I expected. Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin are hilarious. It's also hilarious how crapped on Steve Martin gets. But the star of this movie is John Krasinski (Jim from The Office). That dude has got to be in more movies, he's so funny.
  • Green Zone (2009) - 4 stars - It has Matt Damon.
  • The Karate Kid (2010) - 4 stars - OK, They pretty much copied the entire plot from the first Karate Kid, which is fine. But they left out one of the most important parts. Ask me what it is and you'll get me going.
  • Precious: Based on the Novel by Sapphire (2009) - 3 stars - This movie was a downer. I gave it 3 stars because the acting was phenomenal. But it's too depressing to say it was great or wonderful.
  • Man v. Food - Season 1 (2008) - 5 stars - I can't believe the things that this guy stuffs down his throat. I'm jealous because he gets to try many many awesome foods. But he has got to be doing damage to his body.
  • The Bounty Hunter (2010) - 3 stars - I watched this because a critic ranked it the worst movie of the year. I can see why an arrogant critic might do that, but what did you expect? You need to suspend reality when it comes to romantic comedies.
  • Man v. Food - Season 2 (2009) - 5 stars - I tried that little "Backyard BBQ" place in Durham, and it was nasty. The BBQ just wasn't up to snuff, and yet here comes Adam Richman who highlights the place in his Durham episode. Who does this guy's research?
  • Dhani Tackles the Globe - Season 1 (2009) - 5 stars - Dhani Jones is a breath of fresh air when it comes to athletes and reality shows (you know who I'm referring to). He's smart, articulate, well-mannered, respectful... I could go on and on. But beyond that, he's a phenomenal athlete who can compete in any sport against anyone. He went to Iceland and got 3rd in their local strongman competition. Who does that?!? He does a fantastic job on the show. I'm also very jealous of his job, because who doesn't want to travel the globe?
  • Brothers (2009) - 4 stars -Tobey and Jake actually do look like brothers. The acting in this movie is incredible. Highly recommend it. Come to think of it, I bet it's pretty realistic too.
  • Man v. Food - Season 3 (2010) - 5 stars - Puerto Rico has got to be the most disgusting challenge I've ever seen. No human should be able to finish that plate, only pumas.
  • The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard (2009) - 2 stars - I watched it because Will Ferrell was in it. His part was small.
  • The Office Special (2001) - 3 stars -Ricky Gervais is funny, fortunately the American version is better.
  • Beyond the Movie: Return of the King (2003) - 3 stars - I just wanted to see more of New Zealand and hobbits.
  • Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) - 1 star - Awful. There's only one Star Trek movie that has ever come out that doesn't require you to have previous knowledge, and that's the latest one that came out 2 years ago.
  • Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969) - 3 stars - They were skilled and daring, but legends shouldn't die at the end of movies.
  • Shutter Island (2010) - 4 stars -Great movie. It's more intense and suspenseful than scary. As Justin put it, there are no cheap scares. I highly recommend this movie.
  • Dhani Tackles the Globe - Season 2 (2010) - 5 stars - Dhani Rocks! (we still have 2 episodes left, so I thought I'd just include it in January.

0 comments: