Friday, July 23, 2010

June Movies

About a year ago, I started reviewing movies on the blog. I reviewed a whoppin' total of 2 movies before I quit. It wasn't the "giving my opinion" part I enjoyed about movies, just the watching part. So it didn't make sense to waste my time posting reviews.

I realized tonight I can reach a happy medium. So from now on, I will try to post on the blog the movies and shows we've watched and give a short opinion along with the number of stars we gave the movie in Netflix. This will allow me to post about movies, but not require me to have to go into length about each one. It also might stir up a conversation about a particular movie, and that's all good too. So to that end, here is June's movies we watched (holy crap we watch a lot of movies):

  1. Monsters vs. Aliens - 3 stars - It was moderately funny, good for kids.
  2. Forever Strong - 4 stars - This was actually an awesome movie, but the whole time I was thinking, "there aren't this many Americans who care that much about Rugby!" I'm just a sucker for feel-good sports movies.
  3. World's Greatest Dad - 1 star - I watched it cuz of Robin Williams and even that wasn't worth it.
  4. Braveheart - 5 stars - I feel like I should have been more moved by it, but it's hard to find anything wrong with this movie (other than Mel Gibson), it was awesome.
  5. Ghost of Girlfriends Past - 1 star - Not worth anyone's time, I was close to turning it off, and that's tough for me to do.
  6. Philadelphia - 3 stars - Tom Hanks is awesome, as always.
  7. 9 - 2 stars - Super creative and awesome graphics, but the plot was kinda dumb.
  8. Glory - 3 stars - Good movie, but sometimes movies are ruined when they keep to historically accurate endings.
  9. The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day - 3 stars - it wasn't as good, but if you liked the first, you'll like this for the same reason.
  10. Africa: The Serengeti: IMAX - 3 stars - I saw it at the IMAX when I was little, and I remember being halfway satisfied back then too.
  11. Stargate - 2 stars - I can't recall why I added the 2nd star, this movie was TERRIBLE.
  12. The Time Traveler's Wife - 5 stars - This is the first "time traveling" movie that didn't make me want to throw the remote at the screen. Most movies can't pull it off and make the act of time travel halfway believable/reasonable. But this was very well done and I've never seen a Rachel McAdams movie I didn't enjoy. Highly recommend this one.
  13. Robin Hood: Men In Tights - 1 star - I can't stand this kind of humor, which is why I never liked Monty Python
  14. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - 3 stars - If only they could combine the awesomeness of the graphics and the robots with a plot that made you care about what was happening.
  15. Cocktail - 3 stars - I was expecting an intriguing comedy/romance movie and this ended up more on the side of slow and dramatic. 3 stars was generous.
  16. Brian Regan: Standing Up - 4 stars- He's hilarious, and what I think most people don't realize is that he is an incredibly "clean" comic. None of his jokes revolve around sex or curse words. Not a lot of comics can get by like that, so it makes me like him even more.
  17. Brian Regan: The Epitome of Hyperbole - 4 stars - Same as above. Really funny.
One thing I've learned through Netflix is that I am an extremely difficult movie rater. Netflix gives me the number of stars it thinks I will rate a movie and the number of stars the average reviewer rates the movies. We have roughly 100 movies in our queue and for almost every one, my guessed rating is lower than the average reviewers ratings. I kind of like it that way.

We've done a lot of instant streaming in July of TV shows, so we probably won't have as big of a list this month. One last thought, Netflix is awesome.

1 comments:

I'm so glad you finally watched Braveheart. After you mentioned it in Mexico I purchased it from iTunes. Epic!