Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Getting Rid of a Bill

Who gets rid of bills these days? You can't just cancel water or stop using electricity. And it seems like in this day and age, everyone sees internet and cable or satellite in the same necessary light. Liz and I have been looking at our budget to see what we didn't need and satellite stood out as a glaring opportunity. This effort isn't only to slash our budget to increase our savings, but also for the simplicity in our life. If we are paying for something we don't need to be, why continue that behavior?

Sure we watch some cable channels but we realized that outside of local channels, we don't really watch them THAT much and we could live without them. So at the beginning of June we started researching how we would replace our current $80 per month satellite set up without completely changing our current lifestyle (like going without TV altogether).

So we started out buying a regular converter box. I did a ton of research and decided on Channel Master's CM-7000, it had some of the best reviews and the most extensive program guide:


We disconnected the satellite receiver from our bedroom and started using this instead. I also bought an antenna at Best Buy to see what channels we got. Much to our surprise, we didn't get ABC!! We panicked a little, we are a little too addicted to some of the ABC shows (like V and The Bachelor/Bachelorette). What struck us immediately with this box was the realization that just because you are watching shows over the air, doesn't mean the picture isn't good. We get a better picture with this box than we did with satellite. That is not a joke, it's more crisp, I promise.

So after more research, I found out that lower channels (like 11 for ABC) are apparently labeled as "VHF" channels and those are hard to get with weaker antennas like little indoor ones. So I then went after an outdoor antenna. At this point it's really getting into the land of no return. We are starting to accumulate too many items to return them and turn back. Oh well, here we go. So I decided on this outdoor antenna and installed it on the roof, it's the EZ-HD Antenna from "Dennys Antennas":


It was cheap, small, and could receive stations 50 miles away. YAY! We get ABC now! I then returned the indoor antenna since it wasn't needed anymore.

The last item that we had to look into is finding a way to record shows. We had a DVR with our satellite receiver and it's tough to go from DVR to no DVR at all and have to watch all the commercials. Having loved the Channel Master converter box we got before, I researched their other converter box, the CM-7000PAL DVR converter box. It not only receives channels like a regular converter box does, but it also records shows just like our satellite receiver does. It was surprising to me, when I started this research, that this device even existed. A recording device without a subscription fee? SCORE! Eat your heart out TIVO! After watching the video on their website, I was convinced:

Here is a link to the product page and the video.

We ordered the system at the end of June but unfortunately a remote control was left out of the box. I was told that never happens and I hope that's true. Yesterday we finally received the remote control after my many many calls to the company, and after messing with the DVR during lunch and tonight when I got home, I have to say I'm so ridiculously impressed. It makes the satellite DVR look stupid. It's so super easy to use and worth every penny.

To complete our setup, we have a Netflix subscription to get movies, and also a Wii to instantly stream movies and shows from Netflix. We watched the entire first season of 30 Rock over the weekend and I'm definitely a big fan of that show now.

So the whole set up cost us $480, which will take 6 months to make up the cost considering our satellite fee was $80 a month. So yes, initially it was a little expensive, but hopefully this setup lasts us several years. I can't exclaim how happy it makes me to call Directv and say "I don't need your service anymore" (and to also hear the salesman squirm). No more monthly bill and no more $80 automatic draft from our account. It's music to our budget's ears. Goodbye Satellite Bill!

8 comments:

We just did something similar! We didn't go as far as you did, but we did ditch DirecTV. We have had Fios phone and internet for about a year and we decided to do the full bundle and add the Fios TV service as well. It's saving us about $40-$50 a month, we're getting the same selection plus some bonuses for being new customers. I like the DVR better than DTV's and the boxes talk to each other over the Fios network so we can watch anything we record on any other room. VERY nice upgrade to our media setup, and for less money.

How hard was getting on your roof to mount the antenna? I strongly considered this route before getting cable, but my house is rather tall...

A really awesome site for figuring out your potential TV reception is: http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

I ran your address, and most stations are "Yellow", which just requires a small, multi-directional antenna.

Sadly, my address is "Violet" which requires a large directional antenna with pre-amp...looks like I'll be staying with cable for a while.

I promise, this is my last comment. Apparently, the fcc's official site is a lot more positive about my ability to get reception:

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/maps/

fortunately, the previous owners had already set a satellite dish on the roof but the bracket they used was slightly different. So i took the old bracket out and screwed into the same holes that were there. also used some tar to seal around the holes so no matter gets through. We have somewhat of a split level roof, so this was on the first floor roof, not the second floor. i just walked out of the window to do it. If I had to install it on the second story, we definitely would not have an antenna right now. lets just say, one of our gutters is clogged and I know it. i really wish i could get up there, but i just don't have the stomach for that kind of height.

Bye Bye Direct TV bills

Scott put a lame little bunny ears antenna in our attic and ran the cable from it down the outside of our wall and back inside to our TV. It works great! I have SOOOOOOO many problems with Directv, I can't even begin to explain them here. So glad we are no longer customers and glad YOU aren't supporting them, either! Woohoo! Love it.

By the way...I guess this means you found room in your budget for new batteries for your Wii remote? :)

Ha - you guys are crazy! Great work though! I'll be canceling my cable also, although I don't plan on a replacement.