Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Rocks are Stupid

On our drive home the Monday after the marathon, we were driving down I-85 when all of a sudden a rock flies up from a truck on the highway and hits our windshield. I love how when I tell this story, EVERYONE's response is "Well you shouldn't have been tailgating." At which point I declare "I wasn't tailgating, it was dumb luck."

I believe it was a 3 or 4 lane highway at the time and we were going through Richmond. I was in the second lane over from the left and a truck was passing me in the far left lane. Stupid trucks. It gets about 30 or 40 yards ahead of me, a considerable distance. There were cars in front of me and cars behind it, so it's not like I was the only car on the road. All of a sudden from his lane, a rock comes flying across ours, and hits our windshield. I want to say it was about the size of a golf ball. You ever see something and take a picture of it in your head. Yeah, the picture in my head is golf ball size. It barely clips our windshield, hits the side metal that is holding the windshield in place and of course flies off.

The windshield dent is about a quarter in size and there were 4 cracks going off on either side. Liz was sleeping at the time so it was certailny a sudden awakening. We pulled off to check the damage and it looked manageable to me... manageable meaning I am not stopping in Richmond for this. As we go along we start seeing two cracks get bigger. Liz measures them and basically watches them grow about an inch per 20 miles. By the time we get home their almost a foot long.

Needless to say we got the windshield replaced for a pretty $400 penny. Insurance covers the damage but our deductible isn't low enough so... oh well. Here are some pictures of the damage:

From the top of the windshield looking down:


It looked a lot worse in person:


So frustrating... a slight wind and it would have missed.

0 comments: