Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I'm A Little Lopsided

Today was dentist day. Liz didn't have a big gap between the last time she went to the dentist but mine is a little larger than it should have been. Well regardless of the gaps in time, we both got rave reviews on our teeth. No cavities or issues to speak of at all... well except one, and that is why I'm blogging...

The funny thing was that we had dentist chairs in a shared room with just a small wall between us so we could hear everything the opposing dental hygienist was saying. They knew we were married so they started intentionally praising us for our teeth in a kind of mini-marital competition:

"Wow Liz, you must floss regularly because it really shows."

"Michael, I barely had to scrap any enamel off your teeth, they look great."

"Yeah well, Liz, your teeth are so straight."

and so on... it really got us laughing hard.

A small footnote to mention here, my history of dental work is not very long. I haven't had a cavity, no wisdom teeth to be taken out, no real issues outside of normal braces ever came up when I was little. And to add to that, my family is similar as well, no one has any wisdom teeth or any big dental issues. I always just had regular cleanings and that was it.

Well just to update my records, they ran an X-ray and I went back and sat in the dentist chair. The woman comes back with the results and says:

"ok, so you have one wisdom tooth and everything else is looking pretty good."

"umm... what? That's wrong. I don't have any wisdom teeth."

"Well it looks like you have one, in the upper right. See?"

I was actually somewhat mad at this point.

"That can't be right! I've always been told I have no wisdom teeth! No one in my family has wisdom teeth! Why would I have any when I have never had any?!? I don't have any, I don't feel any!"

"I don't know why you haven't heard this before, but it's right there."

That line of questioning went on for a while. My hygienist was also a big fan of the mother-child name calling like "honey", "sweetie", "dear", so that really didn't help my panicked state. Well no amount of pleading or any line of questioning could mask the truth, I have one wisdom tooth. She even printed out the x-ray for me to take home and keep, which thanks to my lovely wife is now posted on the refrigerator.

The good news is it isn't moving (the tooth, not the picture). They said since it doesn't appear to be moving, they won't have to touch it or remove it. They will continue to take x-rays of it, just to monitor it and make sure it stays in place. Liz asked me if it made me mad and I am not quite sure how to respond. Is it really that big of a deal? It's just a dumb ole tooth. But isn't that something the dentist I grew up with should have seen and been like "yo, you have a wisdom tooth, it's no biggy, don't worry about it" and I would have said "sweet". But that's not what happened. I told my Mom and she refused to believe me if I hadn't insisted so much because of April Fools Day.

After a few minutes of calming down, I had a little fun with it. I said to the hygienist:

"I always thought I was a little lopsided."

and...

"Oh so that's why I lean!"

Who knows, maybe I'm growing wisdom teeth. I'll let you know if another one pops up.

I had something else I wanted to blog about today but this blog has been long enough that I will stop here. Also, I really enjoy blogging so I will save it for an uneventful day.

2 comments:

I had sort of a similar experience. The dentist I grew up going to used to tell me how wonderful my teeth were. "Hillary, you've got the most beautiful teeth. You must take such great care of them...yada yada." Then I went to a different dentist for the first time and he found about five things wrong. What? What do you mean there's something wrong with my teeth? My whole life I'd been told how great they were, but every dentist since my family dentist has confirmed that my teeth are, in fact, fallible and imperfect. Now every time I go to the dentist it's like getting a bucket of ice water dumped on my head.

Michael, All this time I thought you were the perfect guy for my little girl and now I find out you have a flaw and are lopsided! Humm, I guess we will have to work on this setback. Love MOM