Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Training for an Ultra

In a couple weeks I'll be participating in this event: http://www.hinsonlake24hour.com/

The rough overview is that it's a 24 hour running race. You run/walk as many times around that 1.5 mile lake as possible during the span of 24 hours. You can be out there the entire time or you can do 1 lap and quit. It's a  "run at your leisure" type event.

I have 2 goals for this race:

  • I want to be one of the people who stays out there the whole time. There is no way I'm going to run 24 hours, I think 5 or 6 would be a challenge, but with the exception of eating and using the bathroom, I think I can handle being on the trail and walking for that amount of time. 
  • I would consider anything under 50 miles to be a total failure, so that is my minimum. What am I aiming for? I would be elated with 80 miles total. I have secret dreams of eclipsing 100, but that is far fetched and unrealistic in my opinion. 
I have to say upfront, while it may be idiotic to attempt something like this, I am not so dumb that I would put my health at risk. If I get hurt or if I feel ill in any way, the goals are out the window. I want to challenge myself, but I will not be stupid about it. That's why I chose an event where even if you stop, you still haven't failed. 

So how am I training for this? I'll be honest, I am not taking it as seriously as I probably should be. I have been doing about 30 to 35 miles of running per week for the last few months, and that's about it. I have, probably mistakenly, just looked at this race as another way to get in shape for the marathon that is coming up in November. 

I think it's about time I change that whole "no training" thing. This weekend I think I'll go out for a set amount of time. None of this set distance stuff like 13 miles or 19 miles, I need to be out there and get the feel for just how miserable it is to walk/run for hours on end. I am thinking 6 hours sounds good. 

I'll need to bring tons of supplies including lots of good music and movies to listen to. I have discovered this fantastic way to pass time while running. I take one of the movies we own, record it to an mp3, and listen to it on the runs. *This is not digital piracy, I own the movies, I have no desire to distribute these mp3's*. Last weekend I listened to "Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire", and as embarrassing as this is to admit, this past weekend I listened to "You've Got Mail". I love movies way too much, obviously. 

As far as food and water, I'll make sure my car is a checkpoint so I can constantly replenish and continue on down the trail. 

Running an ultra-marathon is definitely one of the craziest things I've attempted, but it's something I feel I need to try. I want to challenge myself and accomplish what seems impossible for an average Joe like me. 50 to 80 miles in 24 hours? Challenge accepted. 

1 comments:

*This is not digital piracy, I own the movies, I have no desire to distribute these mp3's*

The sad part is, this is still just as illegal.