Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Lake Hinson 24 Hour Race

So why not just throw something else on this blog that makes me look insane. This week I signed up for my 2012 ultra marathon. Here's a link to the site: http://www.hinsonlake24hour.com/

The race lasts 24 hours. You start at 8AM on a Saturday morning and you go until 8AM on Sunday morning. There is no finish line, just an end time. It's a 1.5 mile loop and you go as far as you possibly can during that time.  It's been called a tailgate with some running. This may sound ridiculous and outrageous, but 9 months away, this sounds like it will be a lot of fun to participate in.

My goals:

  • Don't stop except for normal stuff like food, bathroom use, and stretching. I want to see if I can keep walking or running for the entire 24 hours. 
  • Cover 50 miles. Compared to previous year's totals, 50 miles in this race is small potatoes. For example, in 2011, if I ran 50 miles, I would have finished 100th place out of 254 people. But I have never run an ultra before and never run farther than 26.2 miles. I think 50 miles is a reasonable goal. 
So at this point I need to figure out how to train for this. I think I will initially just start training like I would for a marathon. Medium runs in the week and long runs on the weekend. Then once I get comfortable with marathon distance long runs, I'll start extending those even farther and include walking in there to get used to that. It will not be easy and I am not naive enough to act like I don't have any concerns or doubts.

I'll keep you all up to date with how I'm doing in training. Right now I'm kinda bummed because I have a pulled or tight muscle near my right calf that just won't go away. Can't wait for it to go away so I can put in some serious mileage. This is certainly a daunting challenge, but I like challenges, so bring it Lake Hinson.

4 comments:

2 laps (3 miles) every 1.5 hours? I think that pace would put you at 48 miles. So you need to throw in an extra lap somewhere.

That could be 30 minutes of running and 1 hr of rest?

Just an idea for pacing!

3 miles every hour could get you 72 miles! Running 1 part (30 min). Resting for 1 part (30 min). Repeat.

But defeats your goal of constantly running/moving. But would still be PRETTY DAMN HARD!

I think my goal will be to run a marathon at a nice easy pace... that'd put me at 26 miles in 4 to 5 hours. Then just walk the rest of the way from there. I think that puts me around 70 miles. Any additional running I feel like doing is just frosting on the cake.

does that mean the injury is better? or it doesn't bother you when you run that far? hope you won't get bored running the same mile and a half! good luck!!!

You are nuts!!! they need to atleast change up the scenery for you!