Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Rascal Flatts - When The Sand Runs Out

Last week before my parents left our house, my Mom gave me 3 of her Rascal Flatts CDs. Recently (the last 6 months) I have been on a Country music kick and I firmly believe it's some of the best music out there. I'm no longer ashamed of it. It's pure, clean, and well written music. My favorite artists are Keith Urban, Rascal Flatts, and I'm very sad to admit, Taylor Swift. I guess not being ashamed of that goes along the lines of this post. Go out on a ledge and live life for all that it's worth. So I was VERY excited to see my Mom had some Rascal Flatts CDs and I took advantage of it.

There have been several blog posts in the past where I talk about changing myself for the better and doing things that challenge myself so that I use my body and mind to its fullest extent. Well when listening to one of the Rascal Flatts CDs, one song really hit me along that theme and one line in that song really moved me and made me say "I really hope that's me".

Here is a link to the song on youtube. Ignore the video. I couldn't find a normal one and the video is stupid, just listen to the music.

The line that I love in it is "Here lies a man who lived life for all that it's worth" but the whole song tells a really good story.

Here are the full lyrics:

I spent the morning at an old friend's grave
Flowers and 'Amazing Grace', he was a good man
He spent his whole life spinning his wheels
Never knowing how the real thing feels
He never took a chance or took the time to dance
And I stood there thinking, as I said goodbye
Today is the first day of the rest of my life

I'm gonna stop looking back and start moving on
Learn how to face my fears
Love with all of my heart, make my mark
I wanna leave something here
Go out on a ledge, without any net
That's what I'm gonna be about
Yeah, I wanna be running
When the sand runs out

Cause people do it everyday
Promise themselves they're gonna change
I've been there, but I'm changing from the inside out
That was then and this is now
I'm a new man, yeah, I'm a brand new man
And when they carve my stone, they'll write these words
"Here lies a man who lived life for all that it's worth"

I'm gonna stop looking back and start moving on
And learn how to face my fears
Love with all of my heart, make my mark
I wanna leave something here
Go out on a ledge, without any net
That's what I'm gonna be about
Yeah, I wanna be running
When the sand runs out

And as the cold wind blows across the graveyard
I think I hear the voice of my old friend, whisper in my ear

I'm gonna stop looking back and start moving on
And learn how to face my fears
Love with all of my heart and make my mark
I wanna leave something here
Go out on a ledge, without any net
That's what I'm gonna be about
Yeah, I wanna be running
When the sand runs out
I wanna be running
When the sand runs out
Yes I do, mmm

3 comments:

I don't often listen to country, but I was on a country kick for the last two years of high school because it was the only non-rap music that came in on my car radio. Since then, I haven't listened to it much and when I hear it I wonder why not? It's easy to listen to, the lyrics are heartfelt and relatable, and the harmonies are easy to match (which is probably bad for my poor neighbors).

Callie and I just listened to When the Sand Runs Out and we both gave it two thumbs up!

Yay!

For some reason in high school I listened to a lot of rap, and I look back and think, what in the world was I thinking? I mean I used to listen to a song that had a shotgun blast as the main part of the beat. So stupid and immature.

Hillary, you made a post a long time ago about how much Scott has changed since college, and I feel like I'm doing the same thing. I'm totally different.

You should def check out Lady Antebellum, Zac Brown Band and Love and Theft if you haven't already. Oh and all of Kenny Chesney's stuff is good. Jodi got me into country shortly after we started dating. I resisted at first but it was too hard to resist listening to good music.