Sunday, August 2, 2009

Stamp My Man Card Please

I think with every male homeowner, there are things around the house that you just don't feel like getting involved in. With me, there is basically just one thing and that is electricity. I've been burned too many times and I just don't want to deal with it. Power my lights, heat my food, blend my ice cream, but leave my fingers and body alone. "Just turn off the breaker in the garage" you might say, "well a few year's too late" my fingers might respond. Doesn't always work.

Today I decided to tackle the Sweet Room fan. Since we moved in March 2007, it hasn't worked. The light would turn on but the fan wouldn't spin. Last summer we box fanned it. This summer we decided not to deal with heat and kept our A/C at a tolerable 74. Promptly after getting our high electric bill, I changed our thermostat to 78 and I immediately started sweating.

Last night was miserable. Liz went out for the night and I stayed in and did nothing but sweat my Nay-nays off. I brought the unacceptable box fan in and got fed up. Early July my Mom gave us some money for our anniversary and today that money bought us a fan remote control unit.

I got the 8 foot ladder out, flipped the electrical off from the Sweet Room and went to town. It took me about an hour of fiddling until I got the new remote control installed and "POOF! ... IT'S ALIVE ... IT'S AAAALLLIIIIIIVVVEEE!!!"

I fixed a household item that had been previously broken. My man card has a few stamps on it already: deck, garage shelving, wainscoting in the blue bedroom. Today my man card just got stamped with "Sweet Room fan".

Turns out, it wasn't as hard as I had imagined. Also I discovered on the other side of the white blades that there is a wood color. So I also flipped the blades over. You can't see it in the picture, but the fan is spinning. It's not the prettiest fan, but it came with the house, and that's good enough for me:

1 comments:

Consider it stamped! Now what?